Geocoder with Custom Geocoding Service

03-09-2015 07:19 AM
NEvatt
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

Has anyone had any success with custom geocoding services in the Geocoding widget?  I have published a geocoding service following the help page here.  And the service seems to work fine.  If I plug it into ArcGIS Online or Portal, it works very quickly with auto complete and everything.  But when I try using it in WAB, I have no luck.

The new custom service that I have registered with my portal instance shows up automatically via map config.  But auto complete stops working and any search that I have sends my map view so far out that I receive some 100,000 errors for missing basemap imagery.  I have also had no success by adding my service into the config file 'config_Geocoder'.  These configurations seem to be overwritten by the inherited configurations from Portal.

I am having some general problems with my portal, active directory, SSL credentials and such, so maybe this is why I having a trouble, but I wanted to check if anyone had had success yet.

Thanks,

Nat

Tags (2)
9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nat,

I have added my own geocode service using the Geocode widgets settings UI and have had not trouble.

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Same here.

NEvatt
by
New Contributor III

Ok, thanks for that.  It must be ANOTHER portal issue that I am having then

0 Kudos
MarkYerington
Occasional Contributor III

Are you using esri basemapping or your own local basemaps.  To me it sounds like the geocoding service reference data is in a different coordinate system then the basemap... Maybe?

0 Kudos
NEvatt
by
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

That was a really good idea, as I was using my own custom basemap, but upon changing to an ESRI basemap.  I had no luck.  What is interesting is that the geocoding works fine when I use any random template, like the "Basic Viewer", but as soon as I use the geocoding service in Web App Builder, developer or out of the box, I get the strange behavior described above. 

0 Kudos
MarkYerington

Well sorry thats all I had, I have seen issues when mixing coordinate

systems. We currently have our own locator service, routing service and

use our own custom state plane basemaps registered in ArcGIS online and

have no issues with any of these in the Web App Builder.

Hope ESRI is able to help you out, this should all be supported through

technical support.

Mark Yerington, GISP

MAGIC GIS Systems Analyst

3205 CEDAR ST | MUSCATINE, IA 52761

PH: 563.262.3316 | CELL: 563.260.4525

0 Kudos
NEvatt
by
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

Thanks anyway,  ESRI UK is supposedly looking into it for me at the moment.  But the forum always gives me a faster response.

-Nat

0 Kudos
StanMcShinsky

N Evatt​,

is your geocoding service publicly available? can you share the url?

0 Kudos
NEvatt
by
New Contributor III

Hi Stan,

Unfortunately the service is not public, which obviously makes it a bit more difficult for others to troubleshoot. 

0 Kudos