Combine multiple layers of data using single search criteria

05-10-2018 08:30 AM
DeanWilson
New Contributor III

I apologize first off if this was asked before, because I haven't been able to find an answer for this part. I'm still relatively new to Arcgis, and to GIS in general.  What I'm trying to do is pull data out of three different layers.  Parts come from each layer and it looks as if the only "relationship" between them all is the geometry.  But here's the rub.  I need to search for all the data by a specific attribute from each later.  Here's an example of all the data I need and what I need to search on:

PIN (layer 1, can use this to search)

parcel (layer 2, can use this to search)

owner (layer 3, can use this to search)

address (layer 3)

township (layer 3)

munic (layer 3)

acreage ( layer 1)

more fields from layers 1, 2, and 3

and so on and so forth.. 

so if I search via pin, give me all the above data.  Search by parcel, all the above data, search by owner, all the above data.

I was attempting to put together my own rest endpoint so I could just combine all of this data on the backend then use the normal search tools to work this but the search widgets we're using (eSearch) verify its an arcgis server rest endpoint, so no can do.

Any thoughts would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dean,

So using the eSearch you can configure layer 1, 2 and 3 and add the search expression that searches for those fields. But the user will have to change the search layer based on the search they wan to perform. So to make this as easy to understand as possible to the user you should name the search layers title as the possible attribute searches for that layer (ie. Layer1s' title would be PPIN and Acreage, Layer2 title would be Parcel, etc, etc). There is no way to search all the layer based on the multiple attributes using the eSearch. Now if you setup the default WAB Search widget contain all three layer as FeatureLayer sources and define the fields to search in each layer and then have the Search widget set to search all then it will try and search all three layers using the configured attributes, but this route is less than optimal.

0 Kudos
DeanWilson
New Contributor III

I was honestly hoping you'd reply Robert, since you wrote the eSearch tool.  I appreciate the quick reply.  It looks like I'll have to re-brush up on my Dojo and build some kind of quick custom tool or widget to work this via the spatial queries needed to pull the data I need.  Thanks so much!

0 Kudos