Select to view content in your preferred language

Can the Smart Editor be used to calculate the value of a field based on the value in another field?

04-11-2019 04:23 PM
SusanKing
New Contributor

I have a layer that will need to have new features added. I want the user to enter the attributes for some fields (name of event, date, number of participants, bags), but other fields are based on a calculation (bags per participant; bags/number of participants). Will the Smart Editor allow me to define the value of the bags per participant field as the value from the bags field divided by the value from the number of participants field (and how is this done)? If the Smart Editor can't handle this, how do I accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Susan,

Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same need. 

Thank you,

Julia

SusanKing
New Contributor

No, I never did figure it out. As far as I can tell, the Smart Editor will

not support that functionality. I wound up trying to use Model Builder to

run the calculations too, but kept running into issues with that also. Let

me know if you come up with a solution!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No solution! Would be really nice if the Smart Editor had this capability.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

This option is not supported in the Smart Editor widget.

What you are requesting may be done with Attribute rules. Please review the following article published on 3 January 2021: Introducing smart forms in ArcGIS Field Maps (esri.com)

Near the bottom of the article: 

Attribute rules – are user-defined rules that can be used to automatically populate attributes, restrict invalid edits, and perform quality assurance checks on existing features when they are submitted. Attribute rules are coming to hosted feature services and to forms so that you can execute business logic in your form connected or offline.

Smart forms may provide the capabilities you require moving forward.