Select to view content in your preferred language

Water Main Flushing- combining checklists and field data collection?

08-06-2019 01:47 PM
Labels (1)
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

I've been tasked to create a GIS App for our Water Main Flushing Program. I have set up my feature class with the hydrants that need to be flushed as well as the fields for all the data that needs to be collected in the field. It makes sense to use GIS as the platform for this project as this is a location based task. However, within each pressure system, there are certain requirements for pump stations to be turned on or off, tank operating parameters that need to be adjusted and blow-offs that need to be operated.  These all have to be done in a certain order either before, during or after the actual flushing occurs (for example: "Step 1:Set Tank XX to short cycle between 8'-9'. Step 2: Set Pump Station YY in "Auto-Mode"). The program runs for a week and there are specific hydrants that are flushed each day. What I would like to do is figure out if there is a way to combine some sort of a checklist with one of the GIS Apps (Collector or Survey 123 or..?) to allow the field user to check off the non-GIS tasks then use Collector to document the actual flushing. Has anybody done this? Is this even possible? I had thought of using Google Sheets to set up a sheet with tabs for each day of the week and set it similar to a "To-do" list where the user would check off each step. The user would have to go back and forth between Google and Collector which is not ideal, but not sure how else to do it.  

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Alina 

Tags (1)
11 Replies
MikeOnzay
Regular Contributor

Alina,

Just answering your question about our workflow. They do the work first and then fill out the form on the iPad at the end. My primary reason for introducing the iPad was to get myself out of needing to retype their numbers from paper that came to me weeks later. It is a change for them and change can be hard for some people. I want them to figure out how to use it in a way that works best for them. I'm appreciative that they were even willing to add this to their workflow. I definitely don't want to make the workflow harder. My hope is that as they use it more they may find a way to carry the iPad with them and stop using paper altogether.

Mike 

0 Kudos
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Mike. I totally get what you are saying! We've had some resistance from users out in the field. There always seems to be a reason why paper is better than the iPad.... 

Anyway, my original question had more to do with trying to figure out how to design the form in a  way that would prevent the user from  submitting a partial survey. I couldn't figure out how to get around that issue, so instead I learned to add pages to my survey which did the trick.  I think I have it all figured out, I'm ready to send it out for some testing. After spending a week tweaking it I feel like I need to step away and let someone else look at it with fresh eyes  

Thank you again for your help and getting me started on more complex Survey123  forms! 

Alina 

0 Kudos