Localizing Editing Template for feature created from Solution Deployment Tool

11-02-2018 07:52 AM
Blount_CountyGIS
New Contributor

Greetings folks,

I recently deployed the small stormwater systems solution utilizing the Solutions Deployment Tool for ArcGIS Pro (v2.2.1).

I am working with our stakeholders in order to localize this solution. I have a handle on how to add fields and update domains, but I need to adjust the editing template so that not all asset types are shown in the Web Map and, by extension, when using Collector.

The small stormwater solution has over 30 pipe asset types. I have attached a screen capture of what it looks when editing the web map. We are interested in simplifying the template so that there aren't so many choices/options that wouldn't be found in the field.

I would like to limit the number of pipe asset types available to field/office personnel to only those pipe types that we utilize here locally. I have a handle on how I would do this if I were using a hybrid approach and publishing the feature service from an on-premise ArcGIS Server instance and then hosting the editing application through AGOL. However, publishing from a local ArcGIS Server instance is not an option in this case, so how could I go about limiting the available pipe asset types to those that we have installed here locally when all aspects of this implementation are in AGOL?

I did come across the attached PDF (How to update Hosted Feature Service Schemas) while researching options. It came from a blog post in 2014, so I am uncertain if this is still valid. Is this the preferred approach for taking care of what I would like to do? If not, what other options are available to edit the editing template?

Any help/insights are greatly appreciated.

Thank you . . . Ray

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HowardCrothers
Esri Contributor

You can modify the domains to remove the pipe types that you don't have.  You can use the Configure an ArcGIS Solution task in the Solutions Deployment Tool to remove the domains.  

You will also need to update the feature template for the pipe hosted feature layer to remove the domains you deleted from the editing list. Manage feature templates—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

I highly recommend that you deploy a copy of Mapping for Small Stormwater and try your changes there first to make sure you don't break any of the web maps or apps before doing making changes to your production deployment.

0 Kudos
RaymondBoswell1
New Contributor II
Howard,
Thank you for the response, and your suggestions. 
I have modified the domain for Asset_Type_Stormwater_Line_Pipe, and have attached a screen capture of what it looks like.
I then added the Stormwater Network (View) hosted feature to an empty map in ArcGIS Pro. Using the Manage Templates function from the Edit ribbon, I removed the domain types from the Pipe Asset Type so that the template values were consistent with the domain values.
I wasn't certain if I should be making changes to the hosted feature layer from a new map, or to the hosted feature layer referenced in the Stormwater Mobile Editor web map (my belief is that it does not make a difference, but at this point I am attempting to eliminate any and all possibilities as to why I am having difficulty with this process), so I went ahead and added/opened the Stormwater Mobile Editor web map in ArcGIS Pro. 
I could see that the pipe asset types found in the manage templates pane of the Stormwater Mobile Editor web map were consistent with those values that I edited from the Stormwater Network (View) hosted feature layer in the new, empty web map that I referenced above. I would anticipate that being the case. 
My understanding is that the list of possible pipe types would be smaller since I edited both the domain and editing template. However, the editing template for the pipe feature layer did not reflect the domains nor the values of the editing template when I accessed the Stormwater Mobile Editor web map from ArcGIS Online, from Collector for ArcGIS, or from ArcGIS Pro. The pipe editing template in all three applications still showed all of the default pipe asset types instead of the ones that I had edited. Also, the OwnedBy and MaintainedBy fields did not reflect the domain value that I committed (I changed Our Agency to Blount County). This can be seen in the attached screen capture named.
I did add a pipe feature in the Stormwater Mobile Editor web map from within ArcGIS Pro. I was able to see this added feature in both ArcGIS Online and in Collector. However, the editing template in both AGOL and Collector referenced all of the default pipe types, and the original OwnedBy & MaintainedBy domain values. 
I am still new to ArcGIS Pro, so I imagine that there is something that I am missing, but at this point I am uncertain what it may be, or where to look. Is there anything that you can see that I may be missing as I am attempting to localize this solution?

Thank you . . . Ray

0 Kudos
HowardCrothers
Esri Contributor

Ray,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  You need to update the feature template for the pipe hosted feature layer through ArcGIS Online and not through ArcGIS Pro - Manage feature templates—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

RaymondBoswell1
New Contributor II
Howard,
Thank you for the response. That did the trick. I was able to see the template change in Collector (and other locations that I used to interact with the Mobile Editor web map). Yay!
I realize that there is more than 1 way to get from A to B, so I should've tried other avenues beyond AGP. I typically take care of schema/domain changes in Catalog, configure the editing template in Desktop and publish feature services on our own premise AGS. I looked at this project as an opportunity to embrace AGP for an implementation utilizing the solution deployment tool. It is a little confusing to see the documentation for configuring the solution (http://solutions.arcgis.com/water/help/hosted-stormwater-configuration/get-started/configure-solutio...) state to use AGP, and then find out that feature template changes need to be made in AGOL and not AGP.
If I could, I do have some follow up questions for you.
  1. When using the solutions deployment tool, is it necessary to change similar/shared domains for each individual feature? For example, is it necessary to change the values of the Owned By/Maintained By domain for each individual feature or can I change it one time similar to how I would do in SDE? If I can do it one time, similar to SDE, how can I access the domain list?
  2. Is there a workflow for doing this sort of task (updating domains, feature schema, and customizing the edit feature template) within ArcMap/ArcCatalog? My comfort level in those applications is exponentially higher than in AGP. I have attempted a similar workflow using Map & Catalog (download the fGeoDB from AGOL, add/remove items to/from a domain, add fields to a feature class, change the edit template, overwrite the AGOL hosted feature layer) that I would use for our own AGS hosted feature services, but I end up creating a parallel hosted feature layer in AGOL when I try to go down the overwrite existing service path. 
Thank you again for your assistance in getting past my initial issue with the edit feature template. I do appreciate it.
0 Kudos