Isolation Trace in Water Utilities Reporting Toolbar 9.3

11-24-2010 07:54 PM
JanetRogers
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,
I have had the Isolation Trace tool working perfectly in my network until I added some extra valves. I now get one error on the trace (if I do a trace on a long pipeline that runs straight to a reservoir (Bulk_Water_Supply) with no valves between the isolation point and the reservoir).

The error is :
No Bulk_Water_Supply feature can be reached from this location other than those that would be isolated by a shutdown.

Add a Bulk_Water_Supply Feature at an appropriate location on the network or change your configureation file to specify a different feature class as a possible water source.

Without going into much detail, could someone please let me know what causes this error. There are other reservoirs with similar pipelines which do not error on the trace.

I have found the code in TraceUtil.cs where it is triggered but find it a bit hard to follow:

//Remove directly reachable sources from source array
        pStepPro.Message = "Removing directly reachable sources";
        pStepPro.Step();
        boolCont = pTrkCan.Continue();

if (!boolCont)
        {
            pProDlg.HideDialog();
            return;
        }

foreach (DictionaryEntry entry in sourceDirectEIDInfoHT)
        {
          eidInfo = entry.Value as IEIDInfo;
          sourceEIDInfoHT.Remove(eidInfo.Feature.OID);
        }
        if (sourceEIDInfoHT.Count == 0)
        {
          MessageBox.Show(
            "No " + sourceFCName + " feature can be reached from this location other than those that would be isolated by a shutdown." + Environment.NewLine +
            Environment.NewLine +
            "Add a " + sourceFCName + " feature at an appropriate location on the network or " + Environment.NewLine +
            "change your configuration file to specify a different feature class as a possible water source.", caption);
          return;
        }
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JanetRogers
Is this question not easily answerable or is everyone away for Thanksgiving:D
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
Away for thanksgiving!

This is a known issue.  The trace does not work on pipe segment connected to the source without a valve between the trace location and the source.  It is on the list of todo's.
0 Kudos
JanetRogers
Thanks for that - I can put a dummy valve in at the reservoir.
0 Kudos
JanetRogers
OK, I have the same problem occuring again. My network has 12 bulk water facilities which I am using as Sources (no Sinks). It is a fairly complicated non-directional network.

The Isolation Trace had been working well. For various reasons, I had to remake the network with slightly different pipelines.

The same error is occuring everwhere I click on the network for a Valve Isolation:
[INDENT]No Bulk_Water_Supply feature can be reached from this location other than those that would be isolated by a shutdown.

Add a Bulk_Water_Supply Feature at an appropriate location on the network or change your configureation file to specify a different feature class as a possible water source.[/INDENT]

I added open Isolation Valves at each Bulk Water Facility, but this has made absolutely no difference. Any more suggestions?
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
Are the Isolation valves in the same layer as rest of the valves in the system?  Are they Enabled?
0 Kudos