If you’re using the Attribute Assistant, we need your help!

02-23-2016 07:37 AM
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

We’re doing some research into how the Attribute Assistant is being used. We’d like to see what rules you are using and how you configured your dynamic value table. 

This information will help us plan for the future. We want to know what are the most common rules.  We also want to see your gnarly and complicated rules to see how far the Attribute Assistant is being pushed.

So please share your dynamic value table along with any comments you have in this thread. We appreciate your help on this effort!

Thanks,

Mike

ArcGIS Solutions

PS: If you don’t know what the Attribute Assistant is (or aren’t sure if you are using it already) no worries.  You can learn more about Attribute Assistant on the ArcGIS Solution site here

Tags (1)
239 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd like to see Attribute Table be like Excel.  Formulas.  They auto-update. Even when not Editing.

Example: Column A+Column B is what goes in Column C. Either addition or text concatenation for example. Column C updates, if they update. Or could by any kind of python with text, numbers, etc. And be simple to use and set up.  I have always wondered why this was not in the attribute table. It's why I never trust any measurements except the native shape.area. I always have to re-calc "Acres" for example in something. Thus I inherently don't trust geometry in any GIS layer I didn't personally work on, as I suspect is common with GIS users. Perhaps AA could be integrated with the Calculate Geometry tool to have a "Auto-Update" button to simply keep it auto-updated?  Another note, separate table windows like in 9.3 would be useful.  I know they're in Pro but for ArcMap 10.7 would be nice.  I have not played with AA for many years, and mostly I'd just want like example above of concatenating, but I do remember setting up some rules with geometry and attribute aspects for some utility work and once I got it set up it worked quite nicely. It's a very powerful concept.

AustinBarefoot
New Contributor

I would love to see a Value_Method that functions like 'Move To' (XY Position) that can be used to place features within the Dynamic Value Table based on user input.  That way, the feature would not have to be moved manually to a specific coordinate following attribute population - the feature 'move' could be automated based on the user entry/change.  Of course this field would have to be populated according to a specified coordinate format i.e. N112233.33, E1112233.33 (where 1 = deg, 2 = min, and 3 = sec).  I understand that this method would not be typical of a method in Attribute Assistant, given that it would manipulate a feature location rather than only its attribute info - nonetheless it would definitely reduce user error resulting from manual entry and inconsistencies between actual point locations and their attribute locations.

0 Kudos
DougKruse
New Contributor

Is it possible to add the Z_Coordinate like the X_Coordinate and the Y_Coordinate? we use Trimble Business Center to write our GPS point data to a geodatabase. The software creates the z values, but it doesn't populate the field. we have to run a field calc on the field to populate it. Thanks

ChrisGoessl
New Contributor III

I am unable to load the add in to ArcMap10.6.1 is there a step by step process on how this is done. I really would liek to see how this works and to see if it can help out on a couple of projects.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Chris,

Can you share what is not working or loading?  Does the add in not install?

0 Kudos
ChrisGoessl
New Contributor III

It does not install. There is no add in installer in a new 10.6.1

install

>>> Michael Miller <geonet@esri.com> 09/24/18 09:48 AM >>>Michael Miller

replied to the discussion

"Re: If you’re using the Attribute Assistant, we need your help!"

To view the discussion, visit:

https://community.esri.com/message/801471-re-if-you-re-using-the-attribute-assistant-we-need-your-help?commentID=801471&et=watches.email.thread#comment-801471

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I see apparently Arcade can calculate field values in the AGOL attrib table, per the Sept 2018 AGOL Update. Does that mean it does it automatically, like an Excel formula? Like if one field's value changes, it updates the Arcade-calculated conditional (formula) field's value?  If so, awesome. And if so, that's what I'd hope the Attrib Assistant should do. Or really, the attribute table in general. Why can't we have a field like Acres that automatically updates? Or a 'address' field that, let's say it concatenates three other fields, why can't it automatically update and combine text as soon as they get changed?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

You can set up the Attribute Assistant to recalculate a field in an ArcMap Edit session.  So if Field A changes, calc Field B.  In ArcGIS Online, you can create a Arcade based field.  This is a new dynamic field created on the fly.  Those field values are not persisted in the database of the layer, just available to the client apps.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Michael, yes, I've used it and know it does calcs in Edit. But it would be great if it did them on the fly but on the database side. Because let's say a script calcs values or another user or a version gets synced etc or a joined or related table changes a value.  Basically what I mean is that it should work like formulas in Excel. They recalculate the second anything changes that is used by the formula ie a field used to do the calculation changes, and the formula then recalcs. That would seem elementary, considering SDE sits atop an RDBMS.  And so the values would be calc'd in a real field in the SDE.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Kevin,

This capability is available with attribute rules.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/geodatabases/overview/an-overview-of-attribute-rules.htm

0 Kudos