Similar Errors when running HEC-geoHMS functions

09-26-2017 11:26 AM
Labels (1)
BenPoole
New Contributor

Hey there,

Very new to ArcMap and am trying to use some HEC-geoHMS tools. I keep getting similar errors but can't decipher what is going wrong and don't know where to begin trying to troubleshoot. The only things I have tried is using different DEM versions for certain functions and trying to save outputs into different locations (folders/geodatabases). Can anyone tell me what these errors mean?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Two immediate potential problems to resolve are the space in the path name at "ben poole", and the combined length of the grid filename and its path being potentially over 128 characters at any stage in the processing.  Since the process is using an ESRI GRID, it has to meet very specific file and path-naming conventions, which are much more constrained than for other data types.  I'd start by fixing these, as it often seems that these grid issues also spawn other unrelated errors. 

Esri Grid format

The name of an Esri Grid format raster has more specific restrictions:

• The maximum number of characters is 13.
  • It cannot have spaces.
  • It cannot use special characters other than underscore ( "_" ).
  • For tools that output a Grid Stack, the stack name cannot have more than 9 characters.
  • The total length of the name for a Grid and its path cannot be more than 128 characters.

Output raster formats and names—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Bear in mind that these constraints applies to the folder names also.  Having just one space in a folder can cause things to go awry.  Note that their is no specific error that will come up alerting the user that the issue is due to a space being present.

Also - not a hard and fast requirement, but can help - stay away from the /Users/username structure if possible.  Try to use a very short, direct path to the data, like C:\Data\Model or such.  In theory it should not matter, but in reality sometimes that can be the difference between an operating process and one that throws errors.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
BenPoole
New Contributor

Just saw this answer to the question, I did end up figuring out is was from the spaces I had in my file paths. Would you mind checking out these other errors I'm now getting, I believe they have something to do with file paths/target locations but I'm not entirely sure. https://community.esri.com/thread/205228-problems-exporting-background-shape-file-and-basin-model-fi... 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

This part I don't know - I have not used HEC-GeoHMS myself.

My only guess would be that maybe HEC-GeoHMS is missing one of the COM modules?  However, that is just a guess.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
BenPoole
New Contributor

All of my knowledge and experience with ArcGIS started 3 months ago and is fairly superficial. Could you explain what a COM module is, where it is, what it does? 

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

COM is short for for Component Object Model.  It's essentially a chunk of programming that can be reused for several things.  It's not a GIS-specific term, but a programming one.

COM: Component Object Model Technologies 

As to how it applies to the issue you are experiencing, what may have happened is that the .COM file that HEC-GeoHMS is trying to access is no longer located where HEC-GeoHMS is expecting it to be, thus the error.  If that is the case, one possible solution may be to find out which application provides the .COM file it is trying to access and reinstall it.  I don't know if that means one would have to reinstall HEC-GeoHMS, ArcGIS, or a different application, though, to get the file back where it belongs.

Chris Donohue, GISP