Select to view content in your preferred language

Point Delineator tool in Archydropro

387
3
Jump to solution
04-16-2024 09:07 AM
Labels (1)
KevinUrbanczyk
New Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 and Arc Hydro Tools Pro.  For a watershed model, I have created flow direction and stream rasters and Drainage Line, Catchment and Adjoint Catchment vectors.  I have several points along a flowpath stored in a feature class and I need an automated tool that will calculate the watershed for each of the points.  The "point delineator" tool works great for this if I run it in model builder with the "iterate feature selection" operating on the flowpath points.  This is run in an otherwise empty project (I add the fdr.tif, str.tif, drainage line, catchment and adj catchment layers for the point delineator tool).  The problem is that when I put the same model into an ArcPro project that has numerous python notebooks and other model builder models, I get an error message indicating "invalid extent":  ERROR 010568: Invalid extent. Please check for zero length or width, or failure to project extent to output spatial reference. Failed to execute (Watershed). , ('line 1011', 'c:\\program files\\arcgis\\pro\\Resources\\ArcToolbox\\Scripts\\ArcHydro\\pointdelineator.py', 'IndexError: tuple index out of range').  I do not understand why it will run in a simple project but fails in the other complex project.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II

Kevin,

I think the error regarding extent simply means that the processing extent is invalid. It could be that whatever extent you had defined (or defaulted to) in the simple model was OK, but something in the more complex model has changed the processing extent.

I'm not quite yet using Pro, but I assume the concepts are the same as in Deskstop.

I was once working on a project using Batch Point processing and it would run but the results would be cut off in a rectangle that I eventually realized happened to be the same as the extent of my Batch Point dataset. I think this was a bug in Arc Hydro where it would reset the processing extent to match the Batch Points (or when it reset the extent based on the layers involved it only used the Batch Points). My solution was to set the processing extent in Model Builder to be that of a "mask" layer that I used to extact the limits of the DEM I was using (to reduce memory requirements).

Additionally, in the Desktop version of Arc Hydro, there is the Batch Point option. When you create Batch Points you can run Batch Point processing. This likely does exactly what your model iteration does, but since it is w/in the Arc Hydro set of tools possibly it could reduce errors or "pass-on-ability" of your work (the next person won't have to decipher your "code").

Hope this helps,

Mark

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II

Kevin,

I think the error regarding extent simply means that the processing extent is invalid. It could be that whatever extent you had defined (or defaulted to) in the simple model was OK, but something in the more complex model has changed the processing extent.

I'm not quite yet using Pro, but I assume the concepts are the same as in Deskstop.

I was once working on a project using Batch Point processing and it would run but the results would be cut off in a rectangle that I eventually realized happened to be the same as the extent of my Batch Point dataset. I think this was a bug in Arc Hydro where it would reset the processing extent to match the Batch Points (or when it reset the extent based on the layers involved it only used the Batch Points). My solution was to set the processing extent in Model Builder to be that of a "mask" layer that I used to extact the limits of the DEM I was using (to reduce memory requirements).

Additionally, in the Desktop version of Arc Hydro, there is the Batch Point option. When you create Batch Points you can run Batch Point processing. This likely does exactly what your model iteration does, but since it is w/in the Arc Hydro set of tools possibly it could reduce errors or "pass-on-ability" of your work (the next person won't have to decipher your "code").

Hope this helps,

Mark

KevinUrbanczyk
New Contributor

Good advice.  I think it was a coordinate system mismatch.  I reset the coordinate system of the data frame to match the data (should have done that at the beginning) and it seems to be working now.  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor

Kevin,

i suggest you look into "Watershed Delineation" tool in Arc Hydro (same toolset as Point Delineator).  that tool is designed to do batch delineation and has a bit more options on snapping (if you need it).  this way you do not have to write your own "looper".

also, please review the "Arc Hydro - Project Development Best Practices" document.  might save you some grief - e.g. spatial reference issues, data used in analysis being in the same feature dataset, HydroID assignment, ....

Dean