Select to view content in your preferred language

How to calculate distance from land pixels to stream network.

06-21-2012 01:34 AM
DaxDews
New Contributor
Hello,I posted this in the general board but it did not get any response so I was wondering if it is more relevant here? Apologies if not.

I am trying to calculate the distance from land pixels to a river/stream network across a flow direction gird. Which tool would be most appropriate? Or does anyone have any experience with similar work?

Thank you!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
LornaMurison
Regular Contributor
The flow length tool will create a grid where every cell contains the distance from that cell to the outlet at the edge of the grid.  If you are able to get the difference in values between two cells on the flow length grid that would do it (assuming you know that one eventually flow into the other).  If you are looking for something more automated I'm not sure...
0 Kudos
DaxDews
New Contributor
Thanks Lady_Jane, I will try this! 🙂
0 Kudos
neilo_brien
Emerging Contributor
Yes, you should go for flow length tool. Flow Length Grid indicates the length, in distance units, from each cell in the grid to the outlet (which may be the edge of the grid), following the path the water would take.
0 Kudos
MaddalenaCampi
Deactivated User

Hi Dax, I have the same problem and I don't know how to implement Lorna solution.

Have you come up with something eventually?

0 Kudos