Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I adjust the sink function in Arc Hydro?

01-23-2018 02:02 PM
Labels (1)
KellyHanne1
Emerging Contributor

Hello!  I'm trying to extract a stream network using Arc Hydro.  Performing the sink function results in a usable DEM.  My problem is this.  Using the resulting sink DEM to create flow direction and stream definition grids results in straight stream segments where there should be bends in the stream.  The stream network is not accurate or usable because of this.  Is there a way to adjust the sink function to fill in just minor sinks, but still maintain the integrity of the actual stream shape in the original DEM?  Please see attachment for an example.  Thanks.  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LornaMurison
Regular Contributor

Have a look at this tool: CRWR Tools Optimized Pit Removal.

When you correct sinks by simply filling them, you always end up with flat areas like that. If you fill just "minor" sinks (you can play around with what sinks to fill using sink evaluation and sink selection tools) your DEM will still have sinks, and the flow direction will still not be correct. The above tool both cuts and fills and tends to work better, in my experience, than simply filling. But it doesn't work on larger DEMs.

0 Kudos