HEC-GeoRAS toolbar does not show up

01-03-2011 11:09 AM
Labels (1)
JacobLesue
New Contributor
After installing the necessary applications for HEC-GeoRAS I open ArcGIS and can not see the HEC-GeoRAS toolbar. It is just not available. Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

I am using Arcview 9.2 and I downloaded the latest applications from the ftp://RiverHydraulics:river%2E1114@ftp.esri.com/ site. I installed the appframework, XML Data Exchange and HEC-GeoRAS. After the first time with it not working I went through the cleanup steps described in the readme file and did the registry cleanup, uninstalled the programs, reinstalled, etc. No luck

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
OK, since you're on ArcGIS 9.2--things can be a little weird.

This note from the ESRI Water Resources folks (in the HECGeoRAS Setup9.2 folder) may help with your install. You'll need to work on it a bit to be sure to get the correct pieces.

WARNING

HEC-GeoRAS 4.2 Beta
Date: 03/16/09

The Apframework has changed. So we had to recompile other applications.
Please follow the following steps to install HEC-GeoRAS.

(1) Uninstall HEC-GeoRAS, ApFramework and XML Data Exchange applications.

(2) Install ApFramework from FTP location:
ApFramework/Setup9.2_9.3/Z031009_latest_framework/ApFramework_setup_03102009.EXE

(3) Install XML Data Exchange from FTP location:
/XMLDataExchange/Setup92_93/Z031009/setup_03102009.EXE

(4) Install HEC-GeoRAS from FTP location:
/HECGeoRAS/Setup9.2/GeoRASsetup_042109.EXE

If you install the current version of HEC-GeoRAS on previous versions of Apframework
or XML Data Exchange, HEC-GeoRAS may FAIL to work. You must reinstall applications
in the order indicated above.

Just verified that all the components in the note are still correct and are still available from the ftp site. So work through the install again. 

I'd suggest you make it easy on yourself and use an ftp client like FileZilla to navigate the ftp site.

Post back if you get stuck.

Stuart
0 Kudos
JacobLesue
New Contributor
OK I read through your info and verified the steps I had taken. I used all the same installation files you had listed (downloaded from the FTP site). The interesting this is that here in our company we all have the same OS (Win XP), ArcView version (9.2), and install files from the FTP site. This toolbar issue is only occurring on 1/3 computers. Works fine on the other two. I suspect something was just not installed right or cleaned up right after switching between the single use license and the concurrent use license.

Thanks for any additional insight.
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
I suspect something was just not installed right or cleaned up right after switching between the single use license and the concurrent use license.
You can test that.

At this point, on the one misconfigured PC, create a new user account. Login to it and launch ArcMap from the new account. If the HEC GeoRAS tool bar shows up the problem was with the user configuration from the old license.

The old account can be fixed with a registry edit:
(Note: registry edits are immediate and irreversible, so be certain of each change.)

• Login to the old user account.

• Open the registry editor (regedit.exe) and navigate down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI on the left-hand panel.
  • Right-mouse on ESRI and select Rename.

• Change the name to OLD_ESRI.

• Close the registry.

• Logoff & Log back in.

When ArcMap is launched, a new "default" configuration will be created. That should now have the HEC GeoRAS tool bar available. If that works, and there are no "customizations" needed from the old ESRI use configuration, the OLD_ESRI key can be deleted from the registry (leaving just the newly recreated ESRI key).

Post back with results or if that is unclear.

Stuart
0 Kudos
JacobLesue
New Contributor
OK we did find a solution to this problem. It came down to the installation of the visual basic .net. when GIS was installed vb.net was not checked for installation. I believe that the minimum installation was selected. So after putting in the Arcview disk and installing vb.net we were able to get it to work fine. Thanks for everyone's help or suggestions.
0 Kudos
DanyLaksono
New Contributor
I'm experiencing the very same problem with ArcGIS 9.3 and Hec Georas 4.2.93. I've tried all the suggestions here but still the toolbar didn't showed up. Any more suggestion?
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos