Select to view content in your preferred language

HEC-GeoRAS and HEC-GeoHMS ApFramework9 installation Problems

11-03-2010 04:11 PM
Labels (1)
ChristianRomeyn1
Deactivated User
I am running ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.4000 on Windows XP. I recently installed Hec-GeoHMS 9.2.93.16 on my machine. It did not work correctly so aftre reading the forums I uninstalled all legacy components (including GeoRAS), cleaned the registry, and reinstalled. It took multiple tries but I finally got it to work with ApFramework9 3.1.0.42 and ArcHydro 1.4.0.124. Today I tried to reinstall Hec-GeoRAS and received the error "An incorrect version of ApFramework9 was found on the system. HEC-GeoRAS requires Apframework9 version 3.1.0.93. Please uninstall the existing ApFramework9 version and restart this installation." If I do this I suspect that Hec-GeoHMS will not work because of incompatibility with 3.1.0.93. It seems ridiculous that you would have to uninstall and reinstall every time you switched from GeoRAS to GeoHMS. Does anybody have any insight? Are versions of HEC-GeoRAS and HEC-GeoHMS that use the same ApFramework9?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Chris,

As I said, I don't work too much in the HEC tools, but I think at v5 they merged it all onto one GeoHMS toolbar.

Also, your problem definitely could be your OS at XPsp2, any reason no install of sp3? Link to download here:
[INDENT]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&dis...[/INDENT]

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
Deactivated User
Stuart. I unloaded everthing with REVO. Deleted the registry items. Checked to see if ESRI\Waterutils was there and it was not. I also deleted the program files\HEC\HEC-GeoHMS folder. I then installed GeoHMS v5.0.0.69 and then started ArcMAP. I added the Archydro tool box and then went to tools>cutomize and got the attached popup. There is no main view toolbar so I can't generate a project. I will now uninstall, clean and try installing GeoHMS 4.2.93.51. Thoughout all of this I have not tried to insatll GeoRAS. Thank god I quit my job and I only have to suffer with this for a few more days. Althogh I don't want to leave my firm with this issue unresolved.
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Chris,

Stuart,
This is what Revo says is left over from Apframwork. Which boxes do I check?

Check at the CLSID box... {5881A257...  from there down and delete.

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
Deactivated User
Stuart,
Indeed you are correct they have combined the toolbarsin V5.0. As Homer says "Doh!" I got it to work, tomorrow I'll install Ras and hopefully have it correct. Thanks again for all the help. If you're ever in Colorado I'll buy you a beer.

Chris
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
Deactivated User
GeoHMS v5.0.0.69 seemd to fix the problem and I was able to run the example problem. Thanks again for all the help.
0 Kudos
HendrikAmo
Deactivated User
Hello,

I am trying to run HecGeoRAS on a computer that I have just reinstalled Windows on (due to hard drive failure).

Here are the specs:  Windows XP SP3
                             ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP2 (build 4000)
                             ArcHydro 1.4.2.253 (downloaded from ftp today and installed)
                             HecGeoRAS 4.3.1.20 (downloaded from ftp today and installed)

My Problem is the HecGeoRAS toolbar doesn't show up in ArcGIS.
The ArcHydro one does.

I've done complete cleanups and installs - several times to no avail...

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Tina
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Tina,

If the HEC-GeoRAS is not showing up in the View --> Toolbars menu, check see if it is listed in the Tools --> Customize --> Toolbars tab.

If it is, check it there--and then should show in the View --> Toolbars.

But if it is also not listed in Customize, then something went amiss with the HEC-GeoRAS install.

My suggestion would be to uninstall and remove all traces of the Water Resource Utilities, and start again.

I've found that with everything cleaned, picking up the ArcHydro9 and AppFramework9 bundled with the HEC-GeoHMS download (either v.5.0.0.69 or v.4.2.93.51)  seems to go smoother. I prefer v5.0.0.69 HEC GeoHMS as I think the documentation is better.

Once all three of those are installed, then do the HEC GeoRAS (v.4.3.1.21) install. The ftp site is labled .20 but internaly it is v.21--also use an FTP client rather than your web browser and check the CRC hashes.

Note: HEC-GeoHMS v5.0.0.69 bundles ArcHydro v.1.4.0.255; v4.2.93.51 bundles ArcHydro v.1.4.0.253 which will not work with v.5.0.0.69 of GeoHMS. Not obvious, but need to pay attention to the build/folder dates on the ftp site compared against the ReadmeMMDDYYYY.doc notes. Unfortunately the notes are sometimes a little behind.

Stuart
0 Kudos
GregDobson
New Contributor
I am running ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.4000 on Windows XP. I recently installed Hec-GeoHMS 9.2.93.16 on my machine. It did not work correctly so aftre reading the forums I uninstalled all legacy components (including GeoRAS), cleaned the registry, and reinstalled. It took multiple tries but I finally got it to work with ApFramework9 3.1.0.42 and ArcHydro 1.4.0.124. Today I tried to reinstall Hec-GeoRAS and received the error "An incorrect version of ApFramework9 was found on the system. HEC-GeoRAS requires Apframework9 version 3.1.0.93. Please uninstall the existing ApFramework9 version and restart this installation." If I do this I suspect that Hec-GeoHMS will not work because of incompatibility with 3.1.0.93. It seems ridiculous that you would have to uninstall and reinstall every time you switched from GeoRAS to GeoHMS. Does anybody have any insight? Are versions of HEC-GeoRAS and HEC-GeoHMS that use the same ApFramework9?

I am having similar issues, though I need to install ApFramework9 3.1.0.42 and I can't find it, any suggestions?  Thanks!

Greg Dobson
UNC Asheville
gdobson@unca.edu
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Greg,

AppFramework9 3.1.0.42 is bundled with the HEC packaged distribution releases. You can't mix-n-match with the developmental versions.

I would strongly recommend that you not try to maintain the Water Resource Applications separately. Rather, you will have best outcome if each reload cycle you 1) remove all prior WR components; and 2) install a current developmental build of either HEC GeoRAS or HEC GeoHMS from the ESRI ftp site--not the HEC packaged installer.

Using the current developmental builds, HEC GeoRAS will install the correct AppFramework9 and GeoRAS. While HEC GeoHMS will install AppFramework9, ArcHydro9 and GeoHMS. These builds are in sync and will inter operate.

I don't recommend it, but you can pick up just the latest AppFramework9 alone from the ESRI maintained ftp site at:

[INDENT]/ApFramework/Setup9.3_9.3.1/3.1.0.93[/INDENT]

Also closely read the site notes -- currently Readme11152010.doc -- on the root to the site.

Use these credentials provided by ESRI in setting up your ftp connection. Use an FTP client like FileZilla:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/827...5289#post35289
ftp.esri.com 
login: RiverHydraulics 
password: river.1114 

Alternatively, you can work with the HEC distributed packages, but they will not be current and will not be inter operable with current ArcHydro release. Also ArcHydro10 is not compatible with HEC GeoHMS9 if you were looking at that.

Again, read the site notes at the ftp site to see how they all are interconnected.

Post back with some detail on what you are attempting and if you have specific issues.

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
Deactivated User
Stuart, I am now at a new job and I'm trying to get GeoRAS to run so I can show my boss its benifits. I am running ArcGIS 9.3 (Build 1850) which is an evaluation edition. I have tried to install HEC-GeoRAS 4.3.93 which installs WaterUtilities Apllicaiton Framework (ApFramwork) 3.1.0.103. Part of the application works but other parts do not. I can't seem to import my resutls. I'm thinking that this has to do with the version of HEC-GeoRAS and ApFramwork I am using. Could you provide any insight? Here is the error I am getting:

System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IFeatureClass.get_AliasName()
   at HECGeoRAS.MiscUtil.ApplySymbology2RASResultLayers(Int32 numDesiredClasses, String sVelocityField, String sIceField, Int32 iVelocityMarkerSize, Int32 iIceMarkerSize, IMap pMap, IMxDocument pMxDoc)
0 Kudos