Geo-Ras Floodplain Delineation Using Rasters

06-27-2012 09:37 AM
NicholasCiomei
New Contributor
I am using ArcGIS 10 and Geo-Ras 10. I am able to create a GIS project, export all data to HEC-RAS, run my unsteady simulation, and import back into Arc-GIS just fine. I then set up my layers, import the layers, and do a water surface generation. However, on the last step, Floodplain Delineation Using Rasters, the program crashes.

I have created new projects, redone all steps, deleted files, saved files locally, restarted the computer. I can't think of anything else that would cause the issue. Any advice would be appreciated. I have also done a work around, using the TIN minus to generate what I need, but I have many projects that I need to continually do this for, and would like to figure this out.

Nick
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II
I have had the same problem with GeoRAS 10 crashing on the last step. I have been using RAS Mapper within HEC-RAS as my workaround. I too would like a real solution so I can return to using the post-processing tools in GIS.
0 Kudos
neilo_brien
New Contributor
Hope, http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/49819-HEC-GeoRAS-10-issues-with-ArcMap-10 this thread will help you in resolving your query.
0 Kudos
DerekEtkin
New Contributor
I am using ArcGIS 10 and Geo-Ras 10. I am able to create a GIS project, export all data to HEC-RAS, run my unsteady simulation, and import back into Arc-GIS just fine. I then set up my layers, import the layers, and do a water surface generation. However, on the last step, Floodplain Delineation Using Rasters, the program crashes.

I have created new projects, redone all steps, deleted files, saved files locally, restarted the computer. I can't think of anything else that would cause the issue. Any advice would be appreciated. I have also done a work around, using the TIN minus to generate what I need, but I have many projects that I need to continually do this for, and would like to figure this out.

Nick

I am having the exact same problem in GeoRas10 and ArcGIS 10 (even using the same work-around), but haven't found any solutions yet. For whatever it is worth, as recently as July 2012 I was successfully generating floodplain delineations using GeoRas10 and ArcGIS 10, but now returning to the process a couple months later, the final "Flood Plain Delineation Using Rasters" step doesn't work.

I might have missed something, but I wasn't able to find anything in  h2obuilding's suggested thread that is relevant to HEC-GeoRAS tools.
0 Kudos
DerekEtkin
New Contributor
If anyone else has given up and wants to use a work-around, I've had success with taking the TIN produced in the "Water Surface Generation" step and intersecting it with the ground surface TIN using "Surface Difference" in the 3D Analyst Tools -> Terrain and TIN surface toolbox.

Best of luck.
0 Kudos
ketakiagarwal
New Contributor

Nick

were you finally able to resolve the issue??? am facing a similar problem.
0 Kudos