DEM Reconditioning: Err Msg "Object ref not set to an instance of an object."

09-24-2014 12:28 PM
Labels (1)
AliceAlonso
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am using the DEM Reconditioning function in ArcHydro to "burn" streams in a DEM. I keep receiving this error message:

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 2.34.43 PM.png

Do you have any clue of what it could be? I have been trying all the suggested trouble shooting options but it doesn't do any better.

Do the polylines (streams) in the shape file have to be associated with any other kind of information?

Thank you very much for your help,

Best,

Alice

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkBoucher
Regular Contributor II

I've learned that this error basically means there is a "null" value in some data that the tools are trying to use. Maybe there is a hiccup in the data transfer over your network, or a key variable or data field is "null", or missing... something like that.

I've posted several tips on how errors can be avoided in Arc Hydro. These are on a thread named "Arc Hydro Problem Solvers" (ArcHydro Problem Solvers).

Some basic things to try that are probably posted on that thread:

• Put your data on your local drive (working over the network is slow and also induces errors for some reason).
  • Put your agreestream and other base layers (innerwalls, outerwalls) in a geodatabase (for some reason many errors went away when I started doing this).
  • Make sure your Target Locations are correct. If you renamed the data frame or the mxd but did not reset the Target Locations, you might get an error like this.

Hope you find and post your solution.

0 Kudos