Combine/Merge Watershed

01-28-2018 09:30 AM
Labels (1)
RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Is there a way to combine/merge smaller watersheds to bigger watersheds?

Thank you.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As in Merge???

RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, I'll look into that merge tool.  Your link also mentioned a union tool.  I'll see that too, i think as well as the dissolve tool.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

read each carefully, since in certain circumstances they may do the same thing, but in others, there may be differences in what appears in the attribute tables and how adjacent geometry is treated..  Of course, only work with copies until you get a handle on the differences.

DavidBetts
New Contributor II

You can also open up an edit session, and select which polygons you want to merge manually. This works as long as all of the polygons to merge are in the same layer.

Whether you do it with an edit session, or one of the tools (Merge, Union, etc.), you'll want to decide how to group your watersheds.  I would look for a way to standardize the selection process for merging so you can defend your choices, make it easier to improve the selection process, and potentially give yourself a chance to automate the select-and-merge process if you need multiple iterations.

NO MATTER WHAT you join, you should be careful to make sure that the combined polygons are still hydrologically natural units.   Most people probably wouldn't want merge two watersheds that span a major ridgeline with water flowing ino different rivers on either side of the ridge.

0 Kudos
RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Thanks David, That is how i ended up doing the merging. I used this merging process to fill in the gaps between watersheds. Also, yes i am seeing the streams which ones are possible to combine by a having drainage ditch before water enters the culvert.

Unfortunately this process has disconnected the polygons from the original watersheds generated by ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
DavidBetts
New Contributor II

It would be interesting to see the original set of watersheds (and the gaps you're trying to fill).  With a better understanding of what you're trying to solve, there's a chance that it might trigger some additional ideas on how to help and perhaps get help from more people.

¿How were the original watershed boundaries created?  Maybe there's a way to tweak the boundaries in their creation.

I'm also curious as to how the merged watersheds were separated from the original watersheds.

If you figure out the solution on your own, let us know too.

RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Hi David,

I have some images here of the gaps.

Questions on delineating catchments 

Original watersheds are in one raster which were then converted to polygons for me to have an area and be able to do my editing.

I haven't look into Arc hydro workflow yet, if it has ability to merge watersheds without losing the connection and fill in the gaps, please let me know as i am a beginner

Thanks.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos
RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Addditionally, I saw this from youtube that the watersheds produced by this software is flushed with the road alignment, so there is no gap between the road and the watersheds.  If someone can guide me how to achieve this in ArcGIS, if would be useful for me.

Culvert Drainage Area Calculation - YouTube 

0 Kudos