Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculation of distance between a point and next downstream point

08-18-2013 08:44 AM
Labels (1)
MattBizjack
New Contributor
Greetings,

I am new to Arc Hydro, so I am not sure if there is a tool that does what I'm hoping to accomplish. I have a stream network (an NHD Medium resolution), and two point shapefiles that are snapped to the network. I would like to find the distance along the stream of each point in shapefile 1 to its nearest downstream point in shapefile 2.

My hope is that I would get an attribute column for shapefile 1 that will contain the distances to the nearest downstream point in shapefile 2.

I have searched the forum for a solution to this problem, but have only found several year old posts, none of which seem to accomplish what I have in mind. Anyone have any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor
You could try the following:
1. Add the 2 point feature classes to your geometric network
2. Set the attribute enabled to false for the points in the second feature class so that they stop the trace.
3. Reset the flow direction in the network to the digitized direction (since it is reset when editing).
4. Use the Calculate Length Downstream for Junctions tool in Arc Hydro to populate the length downstream for each junction in the first feature class. Length will be to the outlet or the first feature in the second point feature class that stops the trace.

Christine Dartiguenave
Esri Water Resources Team
XianyingFan
Deactivated User

Hi Matt,

I have the  exact same task as you had, can you pls share your experience how you accomplished your task? Did the suggestion given by Christine worked? Thank you so much!

Maggie

0 Kudos