ArcHydro Problem Solvers

Jump to solution
01-19-2012 06:10 AM
Labels (1)
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
This is a collection of actions I've learned to take when I'm having problems with ArcHydro or HEC-GeoHMS. I'll add to the list when I find more.

1. Make sure the Geoprocessing extents include the whole project: Go to the Geoprocessing menu>Environments...>Processing Extent. Under Processing Extent choose a layer that you know covers the full extent of the waters you are processing and click OK. This should ensure that the processing extent is large enough to do what you want.

2. Delete everything you can in your temp folder: Mine is C:\Users\mboucher\AppData\Local\Temp. Get out of ArcMap first to clear temp files related to your project. You can do this without getting out of ArcMap through the ArcHydro Toolbar under ApUtilities>Additional Utilities>Clean User's Temp Folder.

3. Make sure your Target Locations are correct: Under ApUtilities>Set Target Locations, make sure the HydroConfig and they GeoHMSConfig Targets make sense. The raster data should go to the project folder vector data to a geodatabase. The raster data will go to a folder in the project folder with the dataframe name and the vector data to a feature data set with the dataframe name. Through the ArcHydro Toolbar under there is a function to reset the target locations: ApUtilities>Additional Utilities>Reset Target Locations. I've not tested this to see if it corrects everything.

4. When working on a complicated model, don't use the model mxd for your presentation map. It just adds baggage to an already "heavy" mxd.

If you have additional actions or clarifications on these, please chime in.
102 Replies
MarkBoucher
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
0 Kudos
JONATANTEIXEIRA
New Contributor
I found some way. The soluction is simple.

Change the name of mxd with maximum 8 caracteres and last save in C: with short way. Exemple: C: Hecbase

I have the self problem. But resolve this way.

Jonatan Teixeira. Brasil. Minas gerais[ATTACH=CONFIG]26780[/ATTACH]
MarkBoucher
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
0 Kudos
ChhinhNyda
New Contributor
Thanks. It is working well. Cheers
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
0 Kudos
HenriRiihimäki
New Contributor
Hi,

I did everything mentioned here, but yet I got this error:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31504[/ATTACH]

As you can see I tried to do basic terrain preprocessing.

I placed my data (GRID named testdem) to C:\work\ and set targets to C:\work\ (raster) and C:\work\testing.gdb  (vector)
I also set processing extent to the extent of testdem, disabled background processing threw some salt over my shoulder and yet I got this error. After that I moved my testing.mxd to the same folder  I was able to ran the sink evaluation tool with success. How ever the same tool still fails when using Basic terrain processing...  

# SOLUTION #
1. I also needed to change the default workspace from C:\ESRI\...\default.gdb to C:\work\testing.gdb.
2. I also changed my dataframe name to "data" to avoid any conflicts (see below).

I was wondering why the default paths keep having my data frame name in the paths?
i.e. the vector outputs by default are going to C:\work\testing.gdb\MY DATA FRAME NAME\OutPutFile

Any ideas on this?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
In don't use the sink evaluation tool, so I'm not sure what advice to give you that is not already posted.
0 Kudos
DaveTewksbury
New Contributor III
Error with Batch Subwatershed Delineation

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31587[/ATTACH]

see in thread "why can I not define a stream network" the same error result when using the Catchment Polygon Processing tool

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31588[/ATTACH]

Response was to not work over a network. My user is working with data on C drive. All steps up to subwatershed delineation work fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
0 Kudos