Using XY Mapped Fields in ArcLogistics Import and Geocode

02-24-2011 12:58 PM
NathanJennings
New Contributor III
I would like some clarification.  I have a table of orders that I have an X and Y location (currently in CA State Plane coordinate value).  I have mapped the ArcLogistics X and Y fields using the X and Y values in both text and double data types.  In either case, I can get the locations to show up in an order box, but when I try to assign them to a truck, the data does not load.  the Geocoding field in the unassigned box all indicate Import XY.  To my understanding, this should be sufficient with ArcLogistics for routing and sequency, however, this does not seem to be the case.  If I leave off the X and Y fields and use only the address, then the data does get imported, the Geocode field indicates Address, City, State and then when I select some of them to assign to a truck, a route is produced.

Am I missing something?  Since I have high confidence in my XY location for my "address" location, I would like to take advantage of this if possible for routing purposes.  I know the current data does not show a city or a state, but they are all in Sacramento, CA.

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks,
Nate
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffWickstrom
Esri Contributor
Hello Nate,

We presume the coordinate system for the X/Y values matches the network dataset.  So for the ArcLogistics data included with the product it needs to be WGS84.

When importing from a shapefile, the points will be converted from the coordinate system used by it.

After importing the orders you should see the black dots on the map.

Jeff
0 Kudos
BertYagrich
New Contributor
Nate, I've attached your data exported to a .shp file.  In this case, you can just import and don't match the X/Y's when you import.  This info will be pulled from the .shp and converted appropriately. 

You can map an address field for the sake of detail but it won't be used in geocoding and you should maintain your accurately collected X/Y locations.

Let us know if this doesn't work out for you.
0 Kudos
NathanJennings
New Contributor III
So, my table in Oracle that has an X and Y fields are in state plane.
ArcLogistics 9.3 we are using TeleAtlas street network.

Options for import and creating routes from the imported orders:

1. Do NOT map the XY fields and hence use the address for geocoding.  Data comes in fine and routes can be created from the imported orders.

2. Convert the state plane values to geographic, then map X Y coordinate fields.  Data comes in fine and routes can be created from the imported orders

3. Convert the table to shapefile (or geodatabase feature class) with data in geographic.  Do NOT map X Y fields and DO NOT geocode during import.  Data imports fine and routes can be created from the imported orders.

ArcLogistics 9.3 and using City Street Network in State Plane:

1. Do NOT map the XY fields and hence use the address for geocoding.  Data comes in fine and routes can be created from the imported orders.

2. Map X Y coordinate fields.  Data comes in fine and routes can be created from the imported orders.

3. Convert the table to shapefile (or geodatabase feature class) with data in State Plane.  Do NOT map X Y fields and DO NOT geocode during import.  Data imports fine and routes can be created from the imported orders.

Are all of the above options possible?

Basically, if I have a known location (XY, Lat/Long) in my table, can I use this directly during import so that I can generate routes.  If I understand correctly, then it depends on the street network being used. If it is TeleAtlas, then my XY data needs to be in geographic.  If my street network is in state Plane (i.e. a City street network), then the XY locations need to be in state plane.

I am trying to streamline the process to take address data (that also has and XY field in state plane coordinates), be able to import these into ArcLogistcs and then select the orders I want to assign them to a specific route.  Since the XY is likely more accurate than the address (which may be geocoded to a portion of a street segment), then I would rather use my more accurate XY location values from the table (provided this is possible).  I would hope I do not have to convert my data into a feature class.

Thank you,
Nate
0 Kudos
BertYagrich
New Contributor
Basically, if I have a known location (XY, Lat/Long) in my table, can I use this directly during import so that I can generate routes. If I understand correctly, then it depends on the street network being used. If it is TeleAtlas, then my XY data needs to be in geographic. If my street network is in state Plane (i.e. a City street network), then the XY locations need to be in state plane.

Nate, your analysis above is correct and supports all the scenarios you listed above.  Are you planning on using Tele Atlas or some other custom dataset in State Plane with ArcLogistics?  Whichever you use, just make sure your XY order coordinates are in the same projection as the map and network dataset and it should work nicely.
0 Kudos
JamesJudge
New Contributor II
I'm using ArcLogistics online 10 and when importing orders I'm only getting 90 percent geocoded. How can I set the preferences to read the X Y coordinate values in my stops shapefile?
0 Kudos
BertYagrich
New Contributor
Typically, you'd just map the X/Y fields during import when importing from a file.  However, when reading a shapefile, this location is part of the imported information and you can't really override it. 

You could export your shapefile to .csv or something and then import and map the X/Y fields but they really shouldn't be any more accurate than the shapefile.

Post up a sample shapefile or some addresses if you'd like us to take a look.
0 Kudos