Generate Events Tool Not Working?

Jump to solution
10-03-2018 11:55 AM
anayoung
New Contributor III

Hello,

I recently used the Generate Events tool to try update measures of one segment of a route but what happened was that it zeroed-out the shape-length field. So, I was left with a record that had no geometry. I ran the tool in ArcMap both inside and outside of edit mode with the one segment selected - the result was the same. 

I grabbed the event from one ALRS network and loaded it into another ALRS network that had different but correct measures. I thought that the Generate Events tool would update the measures along the route network it was loaded onto - isn't this the purpose of this tool?

Can anyone tell me what might have happened and how I might get my event to update on the network I want it on?

Thanks,

Ana

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

Hi Ana,

Generate Events doesn't update the measures. It takes whatever measures are in the attribute table for that event and recreates the geometry, the shape, from the route based on those measures. From the documentation Generate Events—Location Referencing for Roads and Highways | ArcGIS Desktop , it "Re-creates shapes for event features registered with an LRS Network".

So check what the measures are in the attribute table. I'm guessing they're null, if you're getting no geometry. Make sure the measures there are good then try running the tool again.

-Rachel

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

Hi Ana,

Generate Events doesn't update the measures. It takes whatever measures are in the attribute table for that event and recreates the geometry, the shape, from the route based on those measures. From the documentation Generate Events—Location Referencing for Roads and Highways | ArcGIS Desktop , it "Re-creates shapes for event features registered with an LRS Network".

So check what the measures are in the attribute table. I'm guessing they're null, if you're getting no geometry. Make sure the measures there are good then try running the tool again.

-Rachel

anayoung
New Contributor III

Thank you, Rachel.

I was confused by the description of the tool "...If the event has derived network route and measure fields configured, the tool will update those fields when executed." Particularly what "measure fields configured" means - to me, it was telling me that if I have the measure fields in the feature the tool would work regardless of whether the measures are present. 

I took the measures out of the event so the features would lay correctly on the routes. I tried using the Transform Route Events tool but the results were confusing - especially on concurrent routes. The Locate Features Along Routes tool provides clearer results but still grabs the concurrent routes. Both tools do not appear to respect dominance rules. 

0 Kudos