Dissolve overlapping polygons created after buffer but keep individual features

11-08-2018 05:41 AM
arilukas1
New Contributor

I have created a Curb Boundary feature class in ArcMap 10.2.2 using my street center line feature class and buffer tool (street center line is made up of various street segments; each segment has an attribute table containing a plethora of information on each section).

The issue I am having is getting rid of the overlapping polygons at street intersections without loosing the individual section's associated attribute data. I would like to create a seamless smooth image but at the same time retain each section's attribute data. An example of what I am trying to accomplish is shown below:

A. Curb layer after Buffer Tool No Dissolve option            B.Curb layer with Buffer Tool Dissolve Type All used

Each segment has retained attribute data                      Each segment has not retained attribute data

buffer              Dissolve  All option selected during buffering

I have also tried to open an editing session and using the clip option to clip out area inside A  so that only the outline is left but I cannot make the buffer distance small enough to leave a single line. I used -0.01 as buffer distance in clip option but am left with two parallel lines, which make post editing very cumbersome. 

I am sure there is an easy way around this but I just haven't been able to figure it out. After beating my head against the desk for an entire day I figured it was time to ask for some outside help.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Union... in the overlay tools will keep all the parts, with extra information occurring in the area of overlap.

If it is purely for symbology, look at your outline color.  If it is the same and the fill color, you will see a seamless area