Creating line segments between 2 or more points

08-16-2010 08:24 AM
DavidKossowsky
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to create line segments between different cities in the world. I've previously used Spider Tools: http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=14908 and it worked quite well when I was mapping from one main point to many others. e.g. A -> B, A -> C, A -> D, A -> E....

My issue now is that I have connection cities in between, so I need to map
A --> B
A--> B --> C
A --> C --> D
A --> B --> E --> F ...

Does anybody know of a way I can get these lines to automatically be created? It seems like it would be relatively simple - just connecting the dots based on location, but I can't find anything that would do this for me.

Thanks!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
SlukaLesni
New Contributor
could you provide more detail?  Maybe a snapshot of your data, or if its ok, post it here?

Here are some data. start_point and end_point are IDs of existing points in my map (no coordinates). You can see some points should be common for several segments. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
OK, here's what I would do.  Not sure if there's an easier way, but:

Create X, Y for the starting points and for the ending points.  Then you can do XY to line.  Where you'll enter the Start X Field, Start Y Field, End X and End Y.  You'll also be able to chose what kind of line, enter what field is the ID and the spatial reference.  But it'll work.
0 Kudos
SlukaLesni
New Contributor
Thanks a lot for your answer. It really helped. I finally managed to do it by assigning coordinates of the points to the IDs in excell and then it was easy with XY to line.
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
Yea!  Glad it worked!
0 Kudos