Tracing Fiber Cable and z of verteces

04-08-2022 06:25 AM
DamianoMontrasio
New Contributor III

Hi all.

We are implementing UN Telco in Airport context (outdoor and indoor network) and we are testing some functionalities in Chicago Dataset. We have noticed that when we draw a new cable passing into an existing 3D structure, intermediate vertices have z = 0, also when the vertex is near an handhole with z assigned.

This is a 2D view

DamianoMontrasio_0-1649424058183.png

and this is a 3D view (in section) of the same cable... with verteces at z = 0

DamianoMontrasio_2-1649424193601.png

There's a way to use the z of structures? Maybe modifiing the Attribute Rule "Line - Connection Point At Vertex"?

DamianoMontrasio_3-1649424308515.png

This is especially important for indoor network.

thanks in advance!
Damiano

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Since two cables cannot exist in the same x,y,z, the Attribute Rule you pointed out is designed to set the Z of the cable to ensure there is no topological conflict.  However, in our case this may not be the behavior you desire.  If so, you can remove/dispable/delete the attribute rule.  However, you will need to ensure the cables are not all occupying the same x,y,z.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
DamianoMontrasio
New Contributor III

hi @JohnAlsup first of all thanks for your interesting.

Sorry but I don't understand very well your response.

You write: "the Attribute Rule you pointed out is designed to set the Z of the cable", but my problem it's exactly that the Z of the cable is not set, also if it's created a connection Point.

DamianoMontrasio_0-1649758565302.png

Also: cable is near structure for containment associations, but is not coincident with structure.

Can you help me understand it better?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

It is difficult to know just looking at the picture, but if we assume there is only one cable, then the attribute rule we provided will not change the Z value of the cable.  The attribute rule is not designed to set the Z's of cables based on a Structure Junction's Z value. It may be easier for us to communicate directly.  My contact email address is jalsup@esri.com

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos