Telecom Data Model - how to add or alter fiber cable counts

01-22-2013 06:55 AM
DaveAugspurger
New Contributor III
I'm trying to set up the Telecom Data Model and (I believe) I have everything set up correctly and am ready to start populating the database with our data.  This might be a dumb question but I simply can't figure out how to change the default values for fiber cable counts.  Usually, this is some sort of 'Domain' value but I can't locate it.  The default values appear when you start editing and select FiberCable from the Create Features...a table called Fiber Cable Configuration appears and list the default values.  How do I amend those values to include additional cable sizes?  Thanks for any help, I'm new to databases and am trying to find my way through this.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DaveAugspurger
New Contributor III
To add to my post above, we have many cables that don't fit the standard cable/buffer/strand configuration that is included "out of the box" so to speak.  An example would be a 16 fiber cable that has 3 buffer tubes (1-4 blue, 5-10 orange, 11-16 green).
0 Kudos
DaveAugspurger
New Contributor III
I think I found where this is stored.  There is a "FiberConfigurations.XML" file in teh AddIn folder.  From what I can tell, there is no way to account for a fiber cable that has buffer tubes with different numbers of strands in each tube.  See below for the contents of the XML file and the last part of each line states "FibersPerTube="x" which implies that it would not be possible to have a cable like I mentioned above (16 fiber) that has 4 fibers in one tube and 6 each in the other two tubes.  Is there a way around this?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <Configurations>
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="2 Fiber Drop" DetailDesc="2 Fiber Drop by Esri" BufferCount="1" FibersPerTube="2" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="4 Fiber Drop" DetailDesc="4 Fiber Drop by Esri" BufferCount="1" FibersPerTube="4" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="8 Fiber Drop" DetailDesc="8 Fiber Drop by Esri" BufferCount="1" FibersPerTube="8" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="12 Fiber Drop" DetailDesc="12 Fiber Drop by Esri" BufferCount="1" FibersPerTube="12" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="12 Fiber" DetailDesc="12 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="2" FibersPerTube="6" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="24 Fiber" DetailDesc="24 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="4" FibersPerTube="6" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="36 Fiber" DetailDesc="36 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="6" FibersPerTube="6" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="48 Fiber" DetailDesc="48 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="4" FibersPerTube="12" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="72 Fiber" DetailDesc="72 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="6" FibersPerTube="12" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="96 Fiber" DetailDesc="96 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="8" FibersPerTube="12" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="144 Fiber" DetailDesc="144 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="12" FibersPerTube="12" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="288 Fiber" DetailDesc="288 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="24" FibersPerTube="12" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="432 Fiber" DetailDesc="432 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="36" FibersPerTube="12" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="576 Fiber" DetailDesc="576 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="48" FibersPerTube="12" />
  <FiberConfig DisplayName="864 Fiber" DetailDesc="864 Fiber cable by Esri" BufferCount="72" FibersPerTube="12" />
  </Configurations>
0 Kudos
MarkReddick
New Contributor III
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry for the lack of response until now...

As you have already worked out the version of the xml cable configuration file you will need to edit is the one that gets placed in the add ins folder after it is installed (or you could edit it in the download xml file before you install the addin. The xml file gets copied to a weird location. The best way of finding it is to look in the log file window (on the toolbar, last tool on the right). Using this tool look for the following highlighted line on your system equivalent (you will need to start editing and bring up the cable configuration window to get to this point in the log)."
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21533[/ATTACH]

On the other point of having different #s of fibers per tube, the tools unfortunately do not support this type of configuration at this time.

Again sorry for the lack of response in getting back to you.

mark
0 Kudos
DaveAugspurger
New Contributor III
Ok, thank you for the response.
0 Kudos
JoeKilzer
New Contributor II
We've tried changing the config file to include a 216 fiber count (18 buffers x 12 fibers) and by replacing another fiber with this need and can't seem to get it to work? Is that what you're relaying here is that it's not configurable? And, is there anything in the works to update this need on the next release? It's sorely needed! Thanks!
0 Kudos