Select to view content in your preferred language

Swift ArcGIS v200.x is available for UIKit or not

Jump to solution
10-01-2023 10:36 PM
trieunguyenaxon
Occasional Contributor

From migrate document: https://developers.arcgis.com/swift/reference/migrate-from-100-x-to-200-x/

I noticed that I need to migrate my application to use SwiftUI to us the new ArcGIS version v200.x

"Migrating existing apps requires significant changes, specifically rebuilding the user interface with SwiftUI and implementing asynchronous code with async/await. A solid understanding of these technologies will help ease your transition and provide a solid foundation."

Is it possible to use UIKit for ArcGIS version v200.x?

Many thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ting
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Short answer is no: the new 200.x SDK is designed to be used with SwiftUI.

Currently the new SDK almost matches the functionalities in the 100.x versions, plus many more new features. I would encourage you to build with the 200.x SDK if possible.

You can indeed embed the 200.x SDK in a UIKit-based app using UIHostingController, but that would offset many great improvements we've done in the new SDK.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ting
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Short answer is no: the new 200.x SDK is designed to be used with SwiftUI.

Currently the new SDK almost matches the functionalities in the 100.x versions, plus many more new features. I would encourage you to build with the 200.x SDK if possible.

You can indeed embed the 200.x SDK in a UIKit-based app using UIHostingController, but that would offset many great improvements we've done in the new SDK.

0 Kudos
trieunguyenaxon
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response!

0 Kudos
rolson_esri
Regular Contributor

It is technically possible to use any SwiftUI View in a UIKit application. There are many tutorials out there showing how to use UIHostingController. Apple has this video that details the process: Use SwiftUI with UIKit - WWDC22 - Videos - Apple Developer

0 Kudos