Select to view content in your preferred language

Utilities Abandon Features Tool Not Working with Enterprise Geodatabase?

Jump to solution
05-10-2013 06:07 AM
AlanToms
Regular Contributor
Hello,

I am having an issue with the Abandon Features script from the Water Utility Network Editing tools.

I am trying to abandon a feature from the wMain feature class.  If the the abandon features are set to go to the wAbandonedLine feature class on my enterprise geodatabase it will fail with the below message.  If I set it to the wAbandonedLine in the file geodatabase that came with the tools it works fine.  It is a 10.1 SP1 environment.  The enterprise geodatabase is using the SQL geometry spatail type.  Any ideas?

Executing: AbandonFeatures 'Water Mains' "Water Abandoned Lines" "Water Abandoned Points" true LINETYPE POINTTYPE "Record Set"
Start Time: Fri May 10 09:05:12 2013
Running script AbandonFeatures...
Starting Abandon Selected Features Script
Processing Parameters
Abandoning Selected Features in GISData.GISADMIN.wMain
Water Mains is a Polyline with 1 selected
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\IS_Support\UtilityNetworkEditingfor10.1\Application\Abandon Tools\AbandonSelectedFeatures.py", line 204, in <module>
    newRow.setValue(fieldName, row.getValue(fieldName))
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\arcobjects\arcobjects.py", line 1040, in setValue
    return convertArcObjectToPythonObject(self._arc_object.SetValue(*gp_fixargs(args)))
RuntimeError: ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Field is not editable.
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Field is not editable.
Script Complete
Completed script AbandonFeatures...
Failed to execute (AbandonFeatures).
Failed at Fri May 10 09:05:13 2013 (Elapsed Time: 1.00 seconds)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
AllysonReynolds2
Emerging Contributor

Paul,

This link appears to be dead. Is there a new version of the tools that includes this fix?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Allyson,

The most recent version is available at Esri/local-government-desktop-addins

0 Kudos
AlexBryan
Emerging Contributor

I'm experiencing a problem with the most recent version of the tool. In this instance, I'm attempting to abandon features in two feature classes: water mains and fittings. All feature classes are editable and exist in the same SDE database. When I execute the Abandon Features tool, I receive this result:

Executing: AbandonFeatures 'Water Network\Watermain';'Water Network\Fitting' "Water Network\Abandoned\ABD Line" "Water Network\Abandoned\ABD Point" false LAYER_NAME LAYER_NAME "Record Set"
Start Time: Thu Feb 15 10:55:36 2018
Running script AbandonFeatures...
error on line: line 266
error in file name: <string>
with error message: IOError: "\watd.DBO.WaterAbandonedFeatures\watd.DBO.ABDPoint" does not exist
Completed script AbandonFeatures...
Failed to execute (AbandonFeatures).
Failed at Thu Feb 15 10:55:38 2018 (Elapsed Time: 2.56 seconds)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Alex, 

Does the tools work when you have just a single water main or a single fitting selected to be abandoned?

0 Kudos
AlexBryan
Emerging Contributor

It does not. The tool works fine if I move the abandon layers to a file geodatabase.

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

A few more questions/suggestions:

Do you get the same error for linear features that references the appropriate abandon feature class, ie lines for lines?

From the MXD you are using to abandon the features to the SDE connection:

1. enter an edit session to the SDE database.
  2. select a single linear feature, a water line segment for example.
  3. from the edit menu select cut, then select paste
  4. in the paste dialog select the water abandoned lines layer as the target and click OK.  You may need to zoom into the a level the abandoned features are visible, for it to display in the dialog drop down

Did this paste into the abandoned FC? If not, you have a permissions issue with the DB.

Try the same for a point feature and the abandon point layer

When you are using the abandoned feature tool, try dragging the abandoned line layer and abandoned point layer from your TOC to the appropriate drop down on the tool and drop them.  Then try and abandon a single feature.  The path name in the error message you provided does not look correct for an SDE connection.  I am working on a production system at the moment so I cannot experiment to get a error message for comparison.

0 Kudos
AlexBryan
Emerging Contributor

We've been able to troubleshoot the issue. The features I'm attempting to abandon are in a geometric network and therefore in a feature dataset. The ABDPoint and ABDLine FCs are also contained in this feature dataset. The tool is failing to recognize the catalog path to the feature dataset. The tool will work if the features being abandoned and the ABD FCs are all outisde of a feature dataset.

This makes this tool unusable for anyone attempting to abandon any features in a feature dataset or geometric network?