Trimble GPS XH

06-01-2012 06:48 AM
Labels (1)
ScottBurton
New Contributor II
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum but I'm still getting used to the layout (is it just me or could the forums be organized a bit better?). Anyways I'm interning at a civil/env engineering firm and they have recently bought a high accuracy GPS unit for taking coordinates in the field.  Everyone in the design department uses C3D and we've figured out functionality in transferring from the Trimble to CAD & vice versa, and I have used a Trimble device before and was able to upload points taken to Arc 9.3, so I should be able to figure that out.  I'm now using Arc 10 and am the only one in the office with any GIS experience (though my GIS minor certainly didn't prepare me fully..), and I am tasked with creating gdb's to load onto the GPS so that our surveyors/engineers can get a handle on where they are.  I have created the maps but am mystified as to how to upload the gdb's onto the GPS. I am trying to include vector data (roads/town lines/water bodies etc.) and I'm hoping to add orthophotography as well.

I also do not currently have the GPS Analyst Extension for Arc 10. I think it costs, what, $2k? Not really in the budget here at the moment.  Any help would be appreciated, if someone could point me in the proper direction I would be incredibly grateful!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScottBurton
New Contributor II
so maybe I'm not in the proper sub-forum?
0 Kudos
JordanBrod
New Contributor III
The software you would need to use would be arcpad to load the data into the gps.  If you are trying to use the software that trimble developed you would have to build the forms in that to match your gdb and then convert the files over to shapefile format to load it into the gdb.  You can get a free trial version of ArcPad but it will log you out every 10 minutes I think so it's annoying but still functional.  When you download ArcPad you will need to add the appropriate extensions and toolbars to your ArcMap interface.  The ArcPad forums are here.  You can also access the help documentation here.
0 Kudos
AllisonFerrini
New Contributor
The dataflow is ArcGIS>Pathfinder>GeoXH
1. ARCGIS:
a. Begin by checking the shape file in ArcGIS. Then open ArcCatalog.
b. Right click on the file in ArcCatalog, then select export to shape file (multiple)
d. Click Output file and create a new Geodatabase to store the file in. 
2. PFO:
a. Again, make sure the coordinate system in PFO is selected correctly.
b. Select Import in PFO, under Utilities.
c. Navigate to the new geo-database you created. You can change the name that the new file will be saved as.
d. d. Click on the Properties button. This will bring up a new screen with tabs. Not all of the following properties will need to be changed each import, but is important to check them.
i. Data �?? Choose data dictionary file only
iii. Microsoft Access MDB - Specify the column names that match lat/long
v. Coordinate System �?? Specify coordinate system
vii. Output �?? You can combine multiple input files into one or multiple files
e. Click ok to close the Properties window then click OK again to save the data dictionary file. It should give you a successful screen.
f. Then re-navigate to the Import function (Utilities, Import). This time, keep all the settings the same except on the Data tab (found by clicking the Properties button), select Features with External Data Dictionary. Select the Dictionary File button and browse to the data dictionary file you just saved. Then click OK to close the Properties screen and OK again to save the file.
f. Then click open, navigate to the file, and check to make sure it looks right.
3. TRIMBLE:
a. Then you can use the Data Transfer Function to put the file onto the Trimble. You may want to check it on the Trimble before you take the unit into the field to make sure everything transferred as it should.
b. To transfer it to the Trimble, use the Data Transfer option under Utilities. The Trimble has to be connected and turned on. Make sure the Send tab is selected, then click Add, Data File, then select the file. Then click Transfer All.
c. Then you can open it on the Trimble. Click the Data tab, then select Open Existing. Pick the file that you transferred. It should open looking as it did in PFO.
0 Kudos