Select to view content in your preferred language

Street maintenance

Jump to solution
08-22-2014 01:58 PM
Labels (1)
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I'm what others are doing to track street maintenance. I looked at some of the templates on here and they just simply don't quite meet my needs.  What I want to be able to do is track the maintenance on each street.  (I.e. chip sealing, brick repair, pothole repair, mill/overlay, etc.)  I want to be able to have a history for each segment/block and easily show planned maintenance as well.  I'm using what appears to be a template but I can't remember the source of it.  I'm not sure it is the best for what I am doing and was wondering if others had done anything similar. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Josh:

Conveying information from overlapping features is always a challenge, whether it is points, lines or polygons.  Some form of distribution process is typical for points and lines, like bus routes.  LR is ideal for this because without redrawing anything or changing any actual geometry I can create side offsets of overlapping lines or points on my Centerlines through an offset distance value in another field.  So I can assign different levels of side offset to create a distribution pattern that has a relationship to the date ranges of overlapping events.  Because the geometry of the events is created at runtime in memory, it is very flexible, but the redraw time is somewhat slower than normal features, and a large number of features drawing at once will noticeably slow ArcMap down.  However, once you have your event side offsets arranged you can export then to become actual features so they will display quickly.

Converting your existing overlapping lines to events is possible through the Locate Features Along Routes tool.  You can save both datasets, since the features you currently have will be permanent to the original network, while the events are cartographically adjustable.  Because changes can happen to the underlying network, the Roads and Highways extension is worth considering, because it helps create time stamped versions of your Centerline network as it changes over time and maintains event integrity in response to those changes according to the rules you set.  The 10.2.2 version of the extension also lets you define segments without tracing using human readable relative limits, based on cross streets (or any other feature that crosses your road network, like City Boundaries) and offset distances along the road in a compass direction.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

We use Street Saver too track all of our Pavement Management data history.  It is designed to deal with Pavement Management rankings and contains algorithms you won't find in any ArcMap application I have seen.  I download it and geocode it from Segment Descriptions using LR event overlays.  I do not encode it into the underlying Centerline and never will.  Since segments can change frequently, I am considering the Roads and Highways extension for improvement history tracking, but our Pavement Management group will not change to ArcGIS as core of its data maintenance tracking at any time in the foreseeable future.  GIS is not responsive enough and not good enough at handling one-to-many relationships for me to recommend it to anyone.  ArcMap reporting is also not equal to the task of outputting the data reports our Pavement Management group needs, or any reporting application as far as I am concerned.  These are ArcGIS's main deficiencies as a database in my view.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Thanks for your response.  Mine is also separate from the actual centerline for the same reason you pointed out.  I used the centerlines to trace so that they match up but that is pretty much it.  Some of your other concerns are also the reason I am looking for options.  Right now, basically I have multiple lines stacked on top of each other, so you can't really identify the top feature only as this will cause you to miss the underlying layers.  We used Cartegraph briefly but I was never familiar with it. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Josh:

Conveying information from overlapping features is always a challenge, whether it is points, lines or polygons.  Some form of distribution process is typical for points and lines, like bus routes.  LR is ideal for this because without redrawing anything or changing any actual geometry I can create side offsets of overlapping lines or points on my Centerlines through an offset distance value in another field.  So I can assign different levels of side offset to create a distribution pattern that has a relationship to the date ranges of overlapping events.  Because the geometry of the events is created at runtime in memory, it is very flexible, but the redraw time is somewhat slower than normal features, and a large number of features drawing at once will noticeably slow ArcMap down.  However, once you have your event side offsets arranged you can export then to become actual features so they will display quickly.

Converting your existing overlapping lines to events is possible through the Locate Features Along Routes tool.  You can save both datasets, since the features you currently have will be permanent to the original network, while the events are cartographically adjustable.  Because changes can happen to the underlying network, the Roads and Highways extension is worth considering, because it helps create time stamped versions of your Centerline network as it changes over time and maintains event integrity in response to those changes according to the rules you set.  The 10.2.2 version of the extension also lets you define segments without tracing using human readable relative limits, based on cross streets (or any other feature that crosses your road network, like City Boundaries) and offset distances along the road in a compass direction.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

This looks promising, however, I just discovered that they charge for this extension which is disappointing to me.  I was looking for an option I could work with in house similar to the LGIM. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Well I have been doing this for many years without the Roads and Highways Extension, and still have not used the extension myself, although I am interested in it.  I do have the ability to create LR events based on human readable limits without it and a weekly script that supports the derivative layers needed to do that.  The LR events can be managed with side offsets as I have mentioned and do not cut up my Centerlines.  I calculate values that detect geometry changes to my routes so that I can correct affected measures of existing events.

However, I do not keep historic network changes, and do not deal with date stamped versions of my data.  If I did it would be fixed features in separately archived historic datatsets outside of my current data.  So far history has not been important to my organization and they are only interested in current and going forward.  The text history is in the Street Saver database, but the geometry to display it on a map would only exist if no changes to that part of my road network have occurred.

It does seem that you should look at time enabled layers for tracking network changes over time if you intend to centralize them all in a single feature class, although the extension makes all of this considerably easier with its toolsets and event listening behaviors.  But you are right that the extension is not free, which is why I said it is something to consider rather than download.