Select to view content in your preferred language

should i delete unused columns

03-19-2014 03:08 PM
Labels (1)
KathleenWallis
Frequent Contributor
I am implementing the Local Government Data Model. I currently have NO data in an Enterprise Geodatabase. I am introducing GIS to this organization for the 1st time. Question... There are several columns in the LGIM that do not apply to our data (i.e. active flag and rotation in water distribution control valves). Is it best to leave those columns in the layer with a bunch of nulls, or delete a column here or there? I am afraid that if I delete some columns, I might be causing myself a lot of trouble down the line when I try to implement some of the LGIM premade map templates. Any thoughts?
Thanks  KY
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrianOevermann
Frequent Contributor

Kathleen,

I would subscribe to an "add to the model only" method and not delete anything--at least until you become familiar with the various applications and what fields they are using.  Your concern is valid and you don't want to paint yourself into a corner unnecessarily!

You can hide fields by unchecking them in the layer properties within ArcMap.  That may or may not have consequences with the apps you want to use, however.

0 Kudos
DavidDenham
Regular Contributor

As long as you do not mind having an empty field in your data then you would be better off leaving the unused fields.  It is always easier to add fields in before you begin to use the data. 

0 Kudos