Parcel Editor seems slow

08-16-2010 08:30 AM
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III
I have noticed that Arc 10x seems pretty slow compared to 9.x.  I have noticed that the new parcel editor seems particularly slow.  I will often wait about 15 seconds before I am allowed to edit a parcel.

My machine is rather new - core 2, 4 GB ram, decent graphics card.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I can speed the system up?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
NickKenczka
New Contributor II
Is your data on a server or is it stored on a local drive?
0 Kudos
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III
The data is on a server.  However, I would expect a fast speed as I have a  1,000 Mbps connection that is shared with four other users.
0 Kudos
NickKenczka
New Contributor II
Could there possibly be anything you have in a shapefile format that it might be attempting to snap to?  We are finding it to be a nightmare with snapping to shapefiles over a server.....
0 Kudos
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
How many parcels do you have in your parcel fabric?

I have found that recalculating indexes on the parcels, lines, points and linepoints tables after migration really helps with speeding things up.

To recalculate indexes on the parcel fabric feature classes, right-click the fabric in ArcCatalog or the Catalog window and click Properties to open up the Parcel Fabric Properties dialog box. Click the Fabric Classes tab and select the feature class in the drop-down for which you want to recalculate indexes and click properties.

Click Recalculate to recalculate the indexes for the fabric feature class.

Christine
0 Kudos
davidvan_pelt
New Contributor III
At v.10.0 PARCEL EDITOR the editing experience is VERY slow.... almost to the point where you want to throw your computer.... 😞

We did not experience this kind of performance degradation at 9.3.1.

I cannot wait for SP1 - i hope it addresses performance and a whole host of other issues!!!!
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Hello David,

I've tried to reproduce your performance degradation on SQL Server 2008 with a copy of your data.  I cannot reproduce any noticeable slowdown, but would like to know more about the SQL Server configuration. Can you please submit a tech support request and then let me know what the incident # is?  They should be able to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

Chris
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
Occasional Contributor II
Maybe the following bit of info may help:

In my particular case, I had been working with an mxd using ArcMap 9.3. and everything worked fine.  Once I upgraded to 10.0, I started experiencing poor performance using that particular mxd.  I have done some limited testing and this is what I have found:

The mxd was using feature classes from a personal geodatabase, except for one layer which was a shapefile.  (This polygon shapefile was received from another contractor and it turns out that this was the "offending" layer.)

This shapefile contained a multipart polygon.

It was this multipart polygon that was responsible for the poor performance. 

The fix was to edit the layer in order to explode the polygon using the "Explode Multipart Feature" tool.  The original shapefile contained only one multipart polygon.  Once I exploded it, my performance issues went away.  (Note: after exploding, the one polygon turned into 229 polygons.)

Josh
0 Kudos
EmilioSolano
New Contributor III
Hi Chris, and fellow users,
We just started using the standard editing tools, and I agree, it is verey slow! We have a seamless geodatabase stored on an ArcGIS Server Basic Enterprise (SDE+MS SQL 2003) OS is MS 2000, and the network about 30 users on Dell's Optiplex 745, the problem is that the geodatabase containd over 2.4 million parcels polygons and more than 9 million parcel boundary lines. Our parcel model use 6 topolgy rules. We did not have those problems with 9.3.1

Chris, I hope that you can use the sample I sent you to look for the slow response. Other concern is that the parcel editor tools do not work with our parcel model, only with the new, and according what I heard at the ESRI conference in San Diego, the new parcel model is for geodatabases about one quarter the size of ours.
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Hello Emilio and others,

I'm trying to understand the performance issues that everyone has been reporting.  Since the Parcel Fabric is comprised of a series of feature classes and tables, it shouldn't be any slower than other layers.  Things like copy/paste and import XML workspace, etc. will tend to have a slower performance because the shear girth of the dataset. 

To really get to the bottom of the performance issue, I would urge you to open a tech support request and supply just the 9.3.1 data.  The tech support technician should be able to perform the test on 9.3.1 and then the same test on 10.0 to compare.

As for the question about Parcel Fabric size, there is no limitation on the amount of data loaded into the Parcel Fabric.  The size would be governed only by the available disc space on the Server.  Of course, with very large datasets, database tuning becomes more important.  I would also make sure the department hosting the data (IT) is in-line with ESRI's best practices for ArcSDE Server administration.

Hope this helps, please respond with tech support incident numbers so that I can track progress.
0 Kudos