Select to view content in your preferred language

make a new parcel line follow an existing parcel line - construct from parent

04-18-2011 09:02 AM
MarkVolz
Frequent Contributor
Hello,
I have been using "construct from parent" to create my parcel dataset.  My experience so far is that when adding new construction lines the endpoint generally snaps to points in the current fabric.  I have a new parcel that follows the north line of a quarter for a small distance.  This legal does not have a given distance between the point where the new parcel meets the north line and any other point on the north line of the quarter, therefore, I cannot create a breakline to force the parcel to match the north line.  As a result I am getting a gap between the current parcel and my new parcel.

In the attached image:

In the attached document I need to point 37, and 38 to be placed on the line between 9 and 8.  I do not have a given distance from point 9 to 37 or 8 to 38.  So I cannot create a breakline. 

How can I make the points 37 and 38 fit on the line between 9 and 8?  I did adjust Parcel Editor>Options>Tolerances> Point matching, and Auto-Join settings.  those adjustments did not seem to make a difference.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor
Hi

Once you have finished and built the parcel, points 37 and 38 should automatically be detected as line points and moved onto the line, eliminating the gap. What happens when you finish and build the parcel?

Christine
Parcel Editing team
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
**At 10 this is known as 'Attributes', not 'Properties' for text elements.

This is most likely the problem, let me investigate and get back to you.

Chris
0 Kudos
TiffanyPuett
Frequent Contributor
Did you find a good workflow for this?  It's sounds like a situation where you want your construction to remain in position with the exception of those 2 points.  It would be nice if you had the option to only move SOME of the points to the sketch or vice-versa.

Either way, I would love to hear what you've discovered.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
MarkVolz
Frequent Contributor
I need to apologize, I forgot to reply back to Christine.

If I remember correct, This is the workflow that I used for this area.  I don't think this is the best workflow, so it does not come with any guarantees.  Nor can I say that this is simple as it should be.

1) Drew in the parcel from the legal.  Since the points on the parcel did not fit within the tolerance, I ignored the error, and left the gap.

2) Unjoined the new parcel.

3) Deleted the other parcel in that quarter section.

4) Rejoined the new parcel, this time forcing it to snap to the lines.

5) Then I used the parcel remainder tool to build the other parcel in the quarter-section. Or I might have selected "Construct from parent" again.
0 Kudos