LGIM-Site Address Schema

08-12-2016 01:34 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The LGIM Site Address Schema doesn't explicitly parse out address components and I'm curious as to why.  One of our key uses of address point data is for geocoding, and current locators work best when the PrefixDirection, StreetName, SuffixDirection and Streetype are parsed out.  (Look at the US Address Single House and/or US Address Single House Subaddress locator styles for specifics.)  Another field lacking in the LGIM is the Altname JoinID field that I simply cannot live without.  The schema does provide PREADDRNUM and ADDRNUMSUF that could (should?) be used as surrogates.  However, at one time storing a Suffix Direction in the same field as a Street Type was considered bad practice.  Perhaps that has changed.

I realize that the any of the schemas can be viewed more less as guidelines instead of hard fast rules, but as new tools are developed with LGIM-centricity, too much modification to the original schema will negate the utility in using it.  Admittedly, I'm very new to using the LGIM, and deep in the trough of it's learning curve, so if this is a topic that has been already ridden hard and put up wet, I apologize in advance.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SallieVaughn
Occasional Contributor

We've found similar with our implementation. However, our issues come with our close integration with our 911 Dispatching software. That software requires each of those components be in separate fields so we simply added the fields and use the Attribute Assistant to populate those extra fields for us. The core schema remains unchanged, so components of the LGIM aren't affected.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Sallie- so following it as a guideline is okay.  I too use the address data for 9-1-1 dispatch, and find it odd that something as essential as Prefix and Suffix direction along with a JoinID are excluded.  In the mean time MSAG & ESN which are going the way of the dodo are included...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Joe Borgione‌: Yes, please consider it a guideline! While we strongly recommend against deleting fields (in case you need them for a Solution later on), we fully expect that you will need to add fields, modify domains, etc. To make it easier to move between versions, you can create a model that contains components for each update you make. That way you can re-run the model at any time to re-apply your schema changes. We also have tools such as the Schema Migration Wizard that will help you take advantage of newer versions of the info model as painlessly as possible.