05-13-2015 08:19 PM
JofreValencia
New Contributor

How to find the land use in a municipality

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Can you be a tad more specific? What data layers do you have available?

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jofre,

As Sephe mentioned, it would help if you were a bit more specific, but in general, I would start with the municipality's web page and see if they have a "GIS" or "mapping" page where you can download what you need.  It may be they have a service you can add to your project.

Also look/search at ArcGIS | Main  and the gallery (see link at top of page.).

You can also do a search in your browser, but make sure to incluse some key words in your search including the municipality or state or area name.  Expand this area if you do not find any data local.  there may be more general data listed at the country level.

SallieVaughn
Occasional Contributor

We are implementing Land Based Classification Standards in our geodatabase (Land Based Classification Standards (LBCS) ). Basically, There are 5 dimensions that are used to model land use for each parcel. I've set it up so there's a one to many relationship from the parcels to each of the 5 dimensions. It runs as a relationship class based on the unique parcel ID.

I was able to glean information from an existing tax assessment database to fill in about 30% of the data for the dimension tables. The remainder will have to be completed through "windshield" surveys or by looking at each location on Google maps and manually typing the dimension values. Thankfully, we're a small municipality.

Good luck!