How to handle one to many relationships when working with parcels?

06-19-2012 12:02 PM
Labels (1)
LeahMontoya
New Contributor
Can someone tell me the best way to handle one to many relationships when working with parcels.  We have condominiums that we have spatially represented with one polygon feature and one parcel number.  They are represented in the Assessors database with multiple Assessor's parcel numbers.  Any input as to how to best handle this situation would be very helpful.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
We have shared a series of best practices for condos in the Local Government Information Model.  In your editing model, we would suggest you track the condo units in a related table and as you publish your parcel data you'll stack the condo polygons and associate the tax and assessment attributes with a unique polygon in your TaxParcelPublishing feature class.  You can find more information about this topic in the Tax Parcel Editing Map and Data Dictionary for the Local Government Information Model.
0 Kudos
LeahMontoya
New Contributor
Thank you Scott for all your help.  I found the documentation you are talking about and will research what will work for us.

Leah
0 Kudos
JohnHangen
New Contributor II
We have shared a series of best practices for condos in the Local Government Information Model.  In your editing model, we would suggest you track the condo units in a related table and as you publish your parcel data you'll stack the condo polygons and associate the tax and assessment attributes with a unique polygon in your TaxParcelPublishing feature class.  You can find more information about this topic in the Tax Parcel Editing Map and Data Dictionary for the Local Government Information Model.

This sounds very interesting - I've long wanted to restructure our parcel data.   Do you have the URL to this document?  Thank you!
0 Kudos
BillEveringham
New Contributor III
Sounds like a lot of extra work to create the extra polygons.  I'm not sure I agree with the way that is modeled.  One of the reasons I don't use the local government model.   We created a .asp page that references the real estate assesment table.  No extra work had to be done to the parcel layer.

Check out my example.... 2900 Clarendon Blvd (condo)
http://gis.arlingtonva.us/gallery/map.html?webmap=700cf717476d403bb24699688170d17e
0 Kudos
ArcGISTeamLocalGov
New Contributor III
Just one more note.  There is a sample python script in the Tax Parcel Editing Map that will help you create a publishing process for your organization.  The publishing process we documented helps users quickly get access to property information in the information popup and query against these characteristics in a simple web mapping application.  The approach or design you take will be defined or impacted greatly by the information products you wish to produce.
0 Kudos
DavidDenham
Occasional Contributor

Scott, why is ESRI suggesting that we stack polygons to handle condo tax records?  It seems to be a lot more complicated and require more effort to maintain all of the duplicate parcels.  If you include a tax id field in the parcels layer you could simply use a one to many relate to a tax roll table to achieve the same results.  This method would only require you to maintain a single parcels layer and a single parcel for each condo development.
0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III
Scott, why is ESRI suggesting that we stack polygons to handle condo tax records?  It seems to be a lot more complicated and require more effort to maintain all of the duplicate parcels.  If you include a tax id field in the parcels layer you could simply use a one to many relate to a tax roll table to achieve the same results.  This method would only require you to maintain a single parcels layer and a single parcel for each condo development.

David,

Scott isn't saying that you run the scripts and then use the exploded parcels as your editing parcel layer from that point forward.  The idea is to run the scripts on a regular basis and the public parcel viewing app or any of the other public apps would use the exploded or published version of the parcel layer.  It makes it quicker for the app to retrieve the ownership info if the table is flat instead of having to go grab it from a related table, much like a cached imagery service.  There are two feature datasets in the local gov IM to handle parcels, ParcelEditing and ParcelPublishing.  You run the scripts on the ParcelEditing set and they get moved over to the ParcelPublishing set.
Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
David -

Thanks Jeff for hitting most of the key points.  Let me just add a few more things.  First, interacting with stacked polygons is much easier with the out of the box clients and APIs.  A simple mouse click or query will return all the records you're interested in and you don't have to write code to query related records, handle condos uniquely, etc.  In addition, you'll probably also want to also merge property attributes from your CAMA and Tax systems when you publish your parcel geometry.  Then you can quickly leverage those in information popups and other apps we have in the ArcGIS for Local Government solution (Tax Parcel Viewer, Public Notification, Value Dashboard, etc.).  So, typically most local governments extract data from these systems on a regular basis and merge it with their parcel publishing (geometry) process and end up with a set of features much like we have in the Parcel Publishing feature dataset. 

Hope this helps.

Scott
0 Kudos
BeccaBlackman1
New Contributor II
I've found the 'Tax Parcel Publishing' script in the ParcelPublishingTools toolbox from the TaxParcelEditingfor10.1 that I believe is supposed to migrate our data from the Parcel Editing dataset to the Parcel Publishing dataset.  I have not been successful in running this tool.  Looking at the updatetaxparcels.py in the same Parcel Publishing folder I cannot figure out where to change the python code to make this script work.  Is there an updated version of this script or any reason for it to not be working?
0 Kudos