Select to view content in your preferred language

Data Governance - Samples or Templates

02-06-2020 09:57 AM
Labels (1)
BretRowlinson
Emerging Contributor

Hello,

We are looking at establishing data governance, specifically focused on the GIS, but will likely fall outside of this realm, so it likely will be more of an Enterprise Data Governance once it is complete.

I have read quite a bit and attended some seminars about data governance, but what I am missing is some real-world examples of documentation of the individual data types/classes that would be developed.

For instance, for a specific data type, say 'sidewalks', I am looking for a data governance document that I could use to build a template that would be used to establish governance for other data.

From my understanding, it should include things such as:

- Where is the 'record of truth' for the asset

- Who has access

- Who is allowed to update

- The process to add, change or remove a record

So, something like this, presuming I am not way off what should be in a data governance document is what I am looking for.

If anyone would be willing to share something or point me at a good resource it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
HilaryCampbell
Regular Contributor

Hi, Bret.  How are you making out with this? I work on the GIS team in our IT department, and we support business units throughout the organization (municipal government), which has been in this process for over 5 years now, and we still don't have it all figured out.  However, we have arrived at a few conclusions which might be useful to you:

Defining Core Principles:

• Data is a Corporate Asset
  • Data is Accessible
  • Data is Accurate
  • Data is Secure

Defining Roles

This was a key to "selling" data governance in general, and a centralized Asset Registry in particular, to senior management.  Every dataset or group of datasets has three roles assigned to it:  a Strategic Data Steward (SDS), Operational Data Steward (ODS) and Data Custodian (DC).  The SDS is a senior manager within the relevant department, such as Parks & Recreation or Public Works, and is responsible for data governance outcomes - accountable for the quality and integrity of the data..  The ODS is a data analyst with the IT group who works with the SDS to carry out data governance operations for that department such as database design and analysis, as well as  providing oversight and expertise, and performing QC/QA tasks on the data.  The DC is the hands-on data editor who is responsible for updating and maintaining the data itself, and works for the relevant department.  We are building spatial data expertise throughout the organization with this approach, rather than having one centralized group manage all spatial information.  This also ensures that the person(s) managing the data possess the first-hand knowledge needed for it.

Managing a Corporate Asset Inventory:

A decision was made to store all asset information in our corporate GIS (SDE, now ArcGIS Enterprise).  This required an organization-wide view of the data: introducing the idea that the GIS is managing data for the entire organization, not just for one specific use or group.  We are working towards making the GIS the authoritative source of truth for all asset information.  This transition is still in progress for us, but it is a significant corporate culture change which takes time.

Defining Corporate Best Practices:

Beyond what I've mentioned previously, it was essential to:

• create clear asset definitions for each asset type (e.g., Guide Rail - A barrier system designed to keep people or vehicles from straying into dangerous areas.)
  • limit the number of data editors for each asset type, to improve data consistency and build expertise
  • define data standards and practices that meet business requirements (spatial accuracy, critical data attributes, etc.)
  • audit data quality

Note that the actual activity of adding, changing or removing records is a separate process and not part of the data governance plan as such.  Data governance would determine who would perform these tasks.

I hope this is of some assistance to you.  Cheers.

BretRowlinson
Emerging Contributor
Hilary,
Sorry for the delay on this, but thank you so much for reaching out with this information.
This is a great start/overview of exactly what we are wanting to do.  It will help to start some discussions here I think.
Here is my contact info if you are able to discuss this further:

Bret Rowlinson
GIS Supervisor
T:306.694.4544 E: bret@moosejaw.ca
City of Moose Jaw  | 228 Main St. N | Moose Jaw SK | S6H 3J8 | www.moosejaw.ca

facebook logo twitter logo LinkedIn Instagram

p.s. I am working from home, so that number will just go to voice mail, but if you are able sometime, maybe we could do a quick Teams call or something.

0 Kudos