Select to view content in your preferred language

Cell Tower Sector Dimensions

Jump to solution
05-14-2014 08:33 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I'm trying to decipher cell sector data from various providers to determine the coverage area of a given sector.  I'm not using version 10.2 so the Cell Phone Analysis tool isn't an option for now.

It's a no-brainer to extract the lat long from the routing sheet and create a point class.  However I'm unsure of the other attributes typically provided:

Sector Radius: it may say something like <1km but >2km.  To me this means the range of the antenna is somewhere around 1.5km or so. If it's an omni-directional antenna (360 degrees) the coverage would be basically a buffer of 1500 meters around the tower x,y.

Sector Azimuth: appears to be given in degrees

Beam Width: not sure what the units are but I'm guessing degrees.

How does one determine the dimensions of a sector polygon given this data?  Let's say you have an azimuth of 125, which in my book is South East on the compass.  And a Beam Width of 90.  Do you add 45 degrees to 125 for one edge of the sector and subtract 45 degrees from 125 for the other edge?
That should just about do it....
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Yes its a great tool that makes building sectors very easy! I'm glad I was able to help you!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I obtained this tool written by ToddZ431; my thanks to TimW1984 for passing along the info.

Kudos to both you guys!
0 Kudos
EvaShoemaker-Maffei
New Contributor II

I can't get that tool written by ToddZ431 to come up.  It doesn't go anywhere when I click on this tool.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Eva-  my guess is it's somewhere else now that we are on the GeoNet.  Can't venture a guess as to where though.  Send me a private message with your email and I'll send it to you.  It works really well...

0 Kudos
EvaShoemaker-Maffei
New Contributor II

I can't find a way to send you an email on GeoNet .

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor II

The only way you can private message is when both parties are following each other, you then get the option

0 Kudos
shaikaplan
New Contributor

Hello Joe,

I am trying to create 16 sectors for each point (22.5 deg each) in order to calculate the water and vegetation fraction in each.

Can the tool you have work for me? I will try to figure out how to follow you so I can give you my email.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The tool is available here: 

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9ac78cd092b640b3b69c6093e1be40bf

It has worked great for me; it's been a while since I used it last, but as long as I have the dimensions of the sectors, it works like a charm.

0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Yes its a great tool that makes building sectors very easy! I'm glad I was able to help you!
0 Kudos