Can I map election results with precincts?

04-22-2015 05:55 PM
IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I want to map a congressional district election result. Can i do it with precincts or can it only be based off zip codes? Also, where can I get the file for precincts to create a layer in the map? This is for an LA County race. I haven't mapped in a while and will appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

Okay, I now figured out how to display the information in various different forms. My next question, is it possible to edit the shape file or the map somehow, to ONLY display the precincts i want?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Great! You're making progress

So, you can add a definition query to your precinct layers to show only those precincts you want.

1. Right-click the layer in the table of contents and click Properties.
  2. Click the Definition Query tab on the Layer Properties dialog box.
  3. Click the Query Builder button.
  4. Build a query expression. In your case, this will be something like:

"Field name containing attributes that define the precincts you want" in (list, of, attributes, separated, by, commas)

The query builder makes it easy because you can just double click the field you want from the list, and then get the unique attribute list and double click the values that you want to have in the list. The "in" statement makes it a list of values.

This should limit the display of the layer to just those precincts you choose.

Here is the help file on definition queries, if you need more detail:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

You may want to export the joined shapefile/excel table a separate layer and then work with it like that.  Maybe you have already done that though.

0 Kudos
IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

How do I export it so I can edit on excel? Or what's the best way to edit the joined file?

Also, when I initially start displaying my election results, the precincts are displayed correctly, but the rest of the map disappears; in other words, only the precincts appear in the map but I do not see any boundary lines or the rest of the map.  Is that normal? I would like the map to show an outline of the boundaries.

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch

I think when you have the excel file in your ArcMap it creates a data lock on the excel file for editing.  This is why I suggest exporting the data after performing the join.  Right click the layer and choose Data -> Export Data: From there you should be able to export the join as a separate shapefile or choose to store it as a feature class in a geodatabase.  If you need any further assistance exporting your data just let us know.

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch

Also, when I initially start displaying my election results, the precincts are displayed correctly, but the rest of the map disappears; in other words, only the precincts appear in the map but I do not see any boundary lines or the rest of the map.  Is that normal? I would like the map to show an outline of the boundaries.

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you mean by this, could this have something to do with your definition query?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Is it just that you have your precinct shapefile on top of the other layers,and it has a sold fill that obscures everything beneath? Try changing the fill to none.

0 Kudos
IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

How do I change the fill?

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch

Click the symbology below the layer name, and then change the fill color in the symbology selector.  OR Right click layer name and goto layer properties, then Symbology Tab, then update the symbology there.  Video included below.

IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

Thanks! What I did was add another shapefile so the district boundaries and background color will remain even when I displayed my information. Lastly, I need to edit the file, so I remove all the unwanted precincts.  I know you guys said earlier to export data, but I don't see how that will allow me to edit the content. Any suggestions? If I can extract it to an excel based file it would be perfect.

0 Kudos