Select to view content in your preferred language

ADA & Curb Ramps

01-15-2013 09:13 AM
Labels (1)
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I've been tasked with coming up with an appropriate way to map curb ramps and other ADA orientated assets around the city.  I have been in contact with San Francisco who has recently tackled such a project but I was wondering if anyone else has worked with this sort of information before.  Specifically, I want to be able to use this data to help show our efforts to become ADA compliant around the city.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
9 Replies
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Josh -

We studied several ADA inspection examples a few years ago before coming up with the design we have in the local government information model.  You could use the CurbRamp and Sidewalk feature classes in the FacilitiesStreets feature dataset as a starting point and adapt it to meet your specific needs. 

Hope this helps.

Scott
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I actually did start with Curb Ramps and did some modifications to it.  I've also been working with San Francisco after seeing an article about theirs.  I must have missed the sidewalk feature class.  I have worked with the StreetPavement and probably missed this one.  I may look into implementing Sidewalk since it is a line feature and I can  add a field to it that shows it as an accessible route.  I also might actually use the Owned By field on this one so that I can put private sidewalks in.  I do still need to figure out the best way to collect this data.  Anyone have any insight into this.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III
Josh,
It seems that many of us are tackling ADA compliance for these facilities.  I, too, have started with the curb ramps fc and made modifications. For the sidewalks, we are going to be marking problem locations--a point feature--since the entire sidewalk segment may not be out of compliance.  I will likely "back fill" the ADACOMPLY field in the sidewalk feature for a general view of compliance/non-compliance later.

I am just diving into the LGIM, so there may be better ideas out there. And given that your last reply was in January, my comments may be moot for your situation.

Scott, could you consider adding an ADACOMPLY field to the curb ramp feature class as well? It is a field I will be adding (using the field from the sidewalk fc as the model) to that feature class and it would be nice for future versions to have it included already.  In a perfect world they all are compliant, but until we find the ones that aren't compliant and subsequently fix them...

Brian
0 Kudos
TamiMaddio
New Contributor III

I'm just getting into researching how to use GIS to conduct an ADA compliance inventory in our City for all of our facilities and sidewalks and Ped ramps etc.  We also want to make it mobile.  I've looked at the LGIM layers.  Does anyone know if there is a simplified, downloadable ADA form or spreadsheet etc that  lists all of the data one needs to collect?  i just want to make sure we are getting all of the info needed when we do the inspections.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I would suggest looking into what San Francisco has done.  They have a pretty robust program for curb ramps.  There was an article that Esri did a year or so ago but I can't seem to find the article.  Department of Public Works : Curb Ramp Program

EDIT:  I updated this link in response to Micheal's post.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
deleted-user-g-GgHmR0fUvU
New Contributor II

Updating Josh White's link:

Curb Ramp Program | Public Works 

JayMyers1
New Contributor II

Josh,

I've been working on this very project for my city the past year or so now.  Regardless of database scheme, the method of collection I use is Esri Collector app integrated with an ArrowGold high accuracy GNSS GPS.  This allows us to attach images easily using our phones or tablets.  I'm trying to work the app in with our construction inspectors to get the work flow so the GIS dept only has to QA/QC.  I just have to train them to get over the fact we don't need high accuracy initially.  The initial collection is a little painstaking but with the start of new city construction season, I am feeling optimistic that I can work in new ramp and sidewalk locations with the capital improvement people. 

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

My Water Distribution crews use Collector extensively in the field.  I forget what the unit is called but they have a GPS receiver paired with their tablets/phones.  I would think that most phone/tablet GPS units would be sufficient for curb ramps.  Unfortunately, our curb ramp project never got off the ground.  I believe the City is updating our ADA transition plan so that project may be reborn in the future.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JayMyers1
New Contributor II

Yeah, our funding was cut as well, but I have enough in place now to at least keep up with the new construction.  Our Arrow unit is a bit of an over kill but we use it for everything but survey work and somehow city council gave us funding to buy it for the ADA project so we jumped on it  98% of the time with our base station network I pull 1/10th of an inch accuracy with it.  We map everything with it.  Manhole covers, water meters and valves, any infrastructure we need and the beauty of it is there is no annual license fee which is always a thorn in the crown with Trimble.  Hit me up if the ADA comes into play again.

0 Kudos