Spatial Stats

09-28-2011 08:55 PM
Juan_CarlosSoto_Palomo
New Contributor
Hi , i wanted to know if somebody can advise me any book, article or webpage, or even your own knowlwdge, about how the normal distibution curve (the one used for example in the hot spot analisys tool) is built, and also how the p-value and z-value are calculated. I have learn a lot about what these statistics mean from the tutorial posted by Lauren, but i really want to go a step further and learn how to obtein these statistics on my own.

Also, I got two question: What means the stacionarity of the mean? and What does mean "the trend" in geostatistical terms

Thank you
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LaurenRosenshein
New Contributor III
Hi Juan,

I'm glad that you found the tutorial useful.  Actually, there are quite a few ways to dig deeper into the algorithms and methods behind the hot spot analysis tool.  For one thing, the documentation called How Hot Spot Analysis Works outlines the algorithms that are used for a hot spot analysis. 

Another great way to learn more about the tools, especially if you are interested in implementing something similar on your own, is to actually look at the source code associated with the tools.  Most of the tools in the Spatial Statistics toolbox are delivered as python scripts.  From the ArcToolbox Window, if you right-click on the Hot Spot Analysis tool and choose "Edit" you can actually see the code, which is a great way to learn more about the method.

As far as your questions about the definitions, could you be a little more specific about the context of the question?  Where did you see those terms used?  Knowing where you saw those terms used will help be figure out the best way to explain them in context.
0 Kudos