Field Iteration and OLS

11-21-2011 07:09 AM
OliverBurdekin
New Contributor
Hi guys,

I've been looking out for a script or some form of the iteration function in model builder that could really reduce workflows.  I'm currently performing OLS on a dataset and have 13 possible explanatory variables (or fields).  What I would like to do is run the OLS tool (and subsequently spatial autocorrelation) in order to find the best model (or best combination of explanatory fields).  Granted it would be a lot of iterations but does anyone know if this exists?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LaurenRosenshein
New Contributor III
Hi Oliver,

Great question!  Actually, we've got an awesome sample script for ArcGIS 10 that does exactly what you're asking for.  It is called Exploratory Regression and it tests all combinations of your explanatory variables for all of the assumptions of OLS (including spatial autocorrelation of the residuals).  You can find it here: Supplementary Spatial Statistics Toolbox.  Also, Exploratory Regression is going to be part of core starting with ArcGIS 10.1, so if you'd like to try the latest version of the tool you might want to consider joining the Beta Program.
0 Kudos
OliverBurdekin
New Contributor
Lauren Hi,

and thanks for the reply.  It's taken a while to get back to you as I must have forgotten to set the notify via email (I don't check my dashboard that often).  But I will certainly try out the script you suggest.  Sounds great.  Your name jumped out too as I did the training seminar relating to regression analysis.  I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thanks.  It was a great seminar and really helped me out.

All the best and Happy Holidays,

Oliver
0 Kudos