Select to view content in your preferred language

Dividing polyline featureclass

04-05-2013 12:53 PM
ChrisCyphers
Emerging Contributor
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to divide a cities polyline feature class into equal parts.  My task is to divide our local utilities gas mains into equal areas then create polygons from these areas.  For example, the city has 500 miles of gas main.  I need to divide the gas main into 5 groups that contain as close to 100 miles each as possible.  The combined area near the center of town will be smaller due to the concentration of gas mains in the area versus the outskirts of town where the mains are more spread out and the area will be bigger.  Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RebeccaRoss
Emerging Contributor
Hello,

It sounds like you have quite a complex polyline layer, and I cannot guarantee that this can cope appropriately, but I have been using the ET geowizards addon which has a function called split polyline with the option of splitting into specific lengths or number of equal lengths. I'm not sure whether you need a license for that number of features but it has been working fine for me with the free unlicensed version for smaller line splitting tasks - probably worth looking into at least. http://www.ian-ko.com/

All the best,
Bex
0 Kudos