Displaying mean center

10-18-2013 03:10 PM
ElizabethRoberts
New Contributor
I am displaying my county data (no. of cases) by finding the mean center of each county and displaying the mean center point as a single symbol by my chosen value. (Properties, Symbology, Advanced, Size, Size points by value x). How is the size or area of the circle calculated? Is my value the radius or diameter? I have chosen to display by this method so I can use transparency.

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I am displaying my county data (no. of cases) by finding the mean center of each county and displaying the mean center point as a single symbol by my chosen value. (Properties, Symbology, Advanced, Size, Size points by value x). How is the size or area of the circle calculated? Is my value the radius or diameter? I have chosen to display by this method so I can use transparency.

Thank you very much

Hi Elizabeth,

If you want to give a meaningful size to your symbols you can better use the proportional symbols:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28486[/ATTACH]

In this case you can define exactly what the size represents. You can find more explanation here:
Using proportional symbols

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos
ElizabethRoberts
New Contributor
Thank you for your response. I did not use proportional symbols because I wanted to be able to make the layer transparent. Is there a way to make a layer with proportional symbols transparent?
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I did not use proportional symbols because I wanted to be able to make the layer transparent. Is there a way to make a layer with proportional symbols transparent?

Hi Elizabeth,

A layer with proportional symbols, just like a layer with symbols with an applied size by attribute can be drawn transparently (see the transparent setting on the Display tab of your layer properties). However, there will be no transparency between point symbols when symbols overlap (those symbols should be in different layers to draw transparently on top of each other).

I looked at the "How to apply size to point feature symbology" option and noticed that the point size will be stretched between the values in your attribute field, applying a point size of approximately 42 to the highest value. 

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos