Thiessen Polygons - polygon input

Jump to solution
10-22-2020 11:31 AM
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

ArcMap x.x / Pro x.x

Thiessen/Voronoi/Dirichlet...

Hi all, 

Would the process for thiessen polygon generation be the creation of a load of points on the polygon boundaries, add an identifying attribute to each point belonging to polygon, run the 'create thiessen' tool, then dissolve the thiessen polys based on ID field?  I'm trying to work this in my head - would just the vertices to points be OK? Is there a better way and am I potentially missing an error here?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

convert to polygons to points perform your choice of triangulation, then use the Erase tool to produce the hole, then either leave them empty or merge the polygons back.

Makes good stained glass patterns

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you trying to triangulate the interior of polygons or the intervening space between poly* points? like these examples in my toolset?

https://community.esri.com/people/danretired/blog/2020/06/16/free-advanced-tools-thiessen-polygons-d... 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Dan,

No, excluding the interiors if there were any, more like just treating the polygon as a solid block, then expanding out from it.  Any inner mischief should get cancelled out in the final dissolve (I would guess).  I really need to test it rather than talk about it I think...

Cool outputs though!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

convert to polygons to points perform your choice of triangulation, then use the Erase tool to produce the hole, then either leave them empty or merge the polygons back.

Makes good stained glass patterns

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos