Raster Values to Polygon Attributes

Jump to solution
04-07-2015 09:52 AM
NatalieZeleznik
New Contributor

I'm trying to find the raster values (and corresponding count) that falls within the boundary of a polygon.

I have a polygon feature class that contains circles that are buffers around specific coordinates.  I'm trying to find the raster values (and corresponding count) that is contained within each polygon.  In the past, I've used either 'Clip' or 'Extract By Mask' to create a new raster with only the values that are contained within a single polygon.  However, now I'm trying automate a process to do this for around 10,000 polygons, and so the same method that I had previously used would be extremely inefficient. 

Something like the 'Extract Values To Table' tool might be useful, where it extracts cell values from a set of rasters to a table, based on a point or polygon feature class.  However, I do not have Geostatistical Analyst. 

Any ideas are appreciated, thank you!

1 Solution
3 Replies
NatalieZeleznik
New Contributor

Thank you Dan!

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are working directly from polygons, they are resampled on the fly to a temporary raster (to create the "zones") so take care the raster environment settings are reasonable for your analysis, and that nearest-neighbor resampling of your value raster is the appropriate method.

Sometimes it's worth the extra effort to rasterize your polygons (with Polygon To Raster) and even (if needed) resample your value raster (using the Resample tool) to have total control of the results.