Query regarding overlapping polygons

05-17-2016 03:47 AM
AjitkumarBabar
Occasional Contributor II

I have one shapefile which has 78765 polygons of different year, path and row. I want to remove those polygons which have more than 80% of overlap. Can somebody help me because symmetrical difference and find identical did not work for me.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can you elaborate on 'did not work for me'.  What exactly were you expecting?  Have you reduced the data set to only those cases where no overlaps occur to simplify the problem?  A hint at your workflow might facilitate some suggestions.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Have you looked at Identity—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Attribute values from the input feature classes will be copied to the output feature class. However, if the input is a layer or layers created by the Make Feature Layer tool and a field's Use Ratio Policy is checked, then a ratio of the input attribute value is calculated for the output attribute value. When Use Ratio Policy is enabled, whenever a feature in an overlay operation is split, the attributes of the resulting features are a ratio of the attribute value of the input feature. The output value is based on the ratio in which the input feature geometry was divided. For example, If the input geometry was divided equally, each new feature's attribute value is assigned one-half of the value of the input feature's attribute value. Use Ratio Policy only applies to numeric field types

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

1- Use Append tool if 78765 polygons are not in one feature class or shape file.

2- give each polygon a unique code

3-Run Intersect tool for that feature only, it will give you the overlap parts

4-use Erase tool and make the input the Append feature class , and the erase feature the output of Intersect tool

5-use join table using unique code - that you created before- to compare between the two polygons after and before erase

6- select the polygons that percentage below 20 % (shape.area after erase/ shape.area before * 100 ) that is mean there are over 80 % overlap

Notice

keep all joined feature not match feature only, because may be there are 100 % overlap and will totally erase

so its area after erase equal 0 . that will make your expression true 0% (below 20 % )

I think that may be help you.

0 Kudos