Select to view content in your preferred language

Project transform from ETRS89 / ETRS-LAEA to UTM WGS84

04-20-2010 01:52 AM
anna_mariadeflorio
New Contributor
Hello,
I am facing some difficulties with the projection trasform from ETRS89 / ETRS-LAEA to  UTM33WGS84.
There is anybody which has the same problem, or someone who can help me,please?
thank you
Anna
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
EmilyRall
New Contributor
Hi,
I downloaded a vector file from the Urban Atlas dataset (http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/urban-atlas) and am trying to convert from LAEA/ETRS89 to WGS84 using ArcMap 10.0. I have tried using the project tool in ArcMap and changing the coordinate system in ArcCatalog but keep getting error messages and am unable to change the projection. I also saw your solution to a similar problem (below) and tried adjusting the specifications according to the file you uploaded, but keep getting the same error message of "Failed to alter the spatial reference". Any insight?

Hello,

Thank you very much for providing a link to some data. The minute I looked at the .prj file I was able to figure out what was happening. The .prj file is using these projection parameters:

latitude_of_center
longitude_of_center

ESRI software expects

latitude_of_origin
central_meridian

The "center" parameters aren't recognized as corresponding to latitude of origin and central meridian, so internally these two parameters have values of 0,0. That's why the longitude values are around 4E and the latitude values are around 14S.

I've attached a .prj file (renamed .txt so it can be uploaded) with the ESRI version of ETRS-LAEA. Please redefine the data with that coordinate system, and I think you will find it working much better.

Another issue is that we use different names in the ETRS 1989 definition which triggers "these are not the same".

I hope this is useful,
Melita
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Looking for a smallish dataset, I downloaded the Badajoz one. There's something in the WKT of the coordinate reference system that we're having trouble understanding, so it comes in with an unknown coordinate system. Use the define projection tool, or the data's property page in ArcCatalog to change it to projected coordinate systems, continental, europe, ETRS 1989 LAEA. Then you should be able to reproject it with the Project tool or on the fly in ArcMap.

(no time to check what's the problem right now; will try tomorrow)

Melita
0 Kudos
EmilyRall
New Contributor
Hi,
Thank you for the quick reply. I tried changing the coordinate system as suggested using the define projection tool and in ArcCatalog using the properties feature but neither worked--I got the same error message.
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
Check the file permissions of the data using the normal windows file explorer.
Either the data itself or the directory it is in is probably set to "read only".
Good luck,
Neil
0 Kudos
EmilyRall
New Contributor
Check the file permissions of the data using the normal windows file explorer.
Either the data itself or the directory it is in is probably set to "read only".
Good luck,
Neil

Hi Neil,
That was the problem. Thanks so much to you and Melita both!!!
-Emily
0 Kudos
SophiNeuner
New Contributor III

Hello!

The discussion is quite old but i have a similar problem. I try to project from WGS_1984 to ETRS_1989 but i always get error "000365 : Invalid geographic transformatin"  and error 000361.

Can someone give me a hint? Thank you!

0 Kudos
SophiNeuner
New Contributor III

Hello!

The discussion is quite old but i have a similar problem. I try to project from WGS_1984 to ETRS_1989 but i always get error "000365 : Invalid geographic transformatin"  and error 000361.

Can someone give me a hint? Thank you!

Bests,
Sophi
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Sophi, 

That often means that we don't recognize the coordinate system (spatial reference) of the input data. For instance, there a different name or a value is not quite the same. Try redefining the coordinate system using the Define Projection Tool or the data's property page in ArcCatalog.

Could also occur if you're not directly using the coordinate systems folder to pick the output coordinate system but importing it from other data or a file.

Melita