Select to view content in your preferred language

Points to Service Area / Boundary

03-20-2015 10:46 AM
codybuntz
New Contributor

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a way I can take a large set of points (1 million plus) and create some sort of boundary or service area out of them?

I know this can be done manually but I would like to find an automated solution.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Cody,

Take a look at the Minimum Bounding Geometry tool.

0 Kudos
codybuntz
New Contributor

Hi Jake, Thanks for the reply.

The Minimum Bounding Geo Tool works, but only gets me about 50% there.

I was looking for something that creates a little bit tighter of a polygon (not as square).

The more i research, the more i am starting to believe that only way i can get the result i want is to hand draw the service area.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Is the 'Convex Hull' option not what you are looking for?

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Are your points numbered or sorted in any meaningful way in your attribute table?

0 Kudos
codybuntz
New Contributor

The only meaningful sort could be an Account # or Grid #. They have a UID and other unique identifiers but nothing sequenced.

0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II

any which way you do this it's going to be "a cat out of a bag" sort of solution

None of these suggestions are perfect but it could be in the form of:

1. To create dissolved buffers then debuffer back once the disolved edges are joined
  2. To use a central point (or 5,10 or++ if necessary) and point to line to this point(s) and buffer results and fill the gaps..
  3. Manually edit the convex hull result
  4. Assign an ID that is sequential based on location coordinates..(eg in a specific diagonal direction north 1st then east sorted)then point to line based on the sequential ID again you may need to split the points into groups for a good result. I've used MS access for this before.
  5. find more data to relate it to... eg properties
0 Kudos