Select to view content in your preferred language

How to I aggregate raster points into equal areas, and still preserve input shape

Jump to solution
01-03-2015 01:23 PM
DonaldPirie-Hay
New Contributor II

I'm trying to make a bivariate choropleth map of an island. I have point data of several features, elevation, slope, aspect, etc.

I'm trying to aggregate these points into large areas of the island, preferably 5 or seven areas.

I know I can use the aggregate tool, but I lose the shape of the island. Is there a way to accomplish the same aggregation without losing the exact shape?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I am attempting to create a series of bivariate maps of an index of habitat suitability (point data) with elevation, slope, and aspect.

Because there is no attribute table for any of the data, they cannot be joined. However, I am wondering how (if it is possible) to join and map  the zonal statistics of the two datasets. I have zonal statistics of each one in the same format. Can they be joined in one file to show the unique values of both sets of data? the Join Field tool doesn't seem to work.

Zonal Statistics is normally carried out on raster data. Slope, elevation and aspect are normally managed in raster format. You mention that the habitat suitability point data has elevation, slope and aspect, but no attributes. This confuses me a bit. If point data contains slope, aspect they will probably be stored as an attribute. Elevation could be stored as the z-coordinate of the point. 

Is it possible to include a screenshot of the situation (table of content and data)? That might explain what you are dealing with.

The output would be a bivariate map of habitat suitability and elevation, another of habitat suitability and slope, and one of habitat suitability and aspect.

So you want to investigate the relationship between habitat suitability and slope, elevation and aspect. If you split up the island in the areas, would these areas be representative for a habitat? You can use zonal statistics to obtain the stats per area of the rasters (slope, aspect and elevation). Another method could be to classify slope, aspect and elevation and use the combine tool (Spatial Analyst) to create a raster with the unique combination of the three classified rasters. If you analyze which combination is suitable you have access to the areas where this combination occurs on the island.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
XanderBakker

You could manually divide the island into these areas. But, why do you want to aggregate the points into 5 or 7 areas?

0 Kudos
DonaldPirie-Hay
New Contributor II

How do I manually divide the island into these areas?

And I want to aggregate the points in 5 or 7 areas to create a bivariate map with some other data.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Assuming you have the polygon of the island and know how you want to divide it into the 5-7 areas, you start editing the layer (or a copy of the layer). You find instructions here: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

If each area is supposed to have an equal amount of points, you will have to use something else. The Aggregate Points tool will probably not provide the desired result. This is more cartographic tool. You may need the Grouping Analysis or any related tools from the Spatial Statistics\Mapping Clusters toolbox...

0 Kudos
DonaldPirie-Hay
New Contributor II

I am attempting to create a series of bivariate maps of an index of habitat suitability (point data) with elevation, slope, and aspect.

Because there is no attribute table for any of the data, they cannot be joined. However, I am wondering how (if it is possible) to join and map  the zonal statistics of the two datasets. I have zonal statistics of each one in the same format. Can they be joined in one file to show the unique values of both sets of data? the Join Field tool doesn't seem to work.

The output would be a bivariate map of habitat suitability and elevation, another of habitat suitability and slope, and one of habitat suitability and aspect.

The goal is to create choropleth bivariate maps to show the relationship between the habitat suitability and the geographical features. I have to present it this way, so other mapping suggestions are out the window.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Zonal Statistics is normally carried out on raster data. Slope, elevation and aspect are normally managed in raster format. You mention that the habitat suitability point data has elevation, slope and aspect, but no attributes. This confuses me a bit. If point data contains slope, aspect they will probably be stored as an attribute. Elevation could be stored as the z-coordinate of the point. 

Is it possible to include a screenshot of the situation (table of content and data)? That might explain what you are dealing with.

So you want to investigate the relationship between habitat suitability and slope, elevation and aspect. If you split up the island in the areas, would these areas be representative for a habitat? You can use zonal statistics to obtain the stats per area of the rasters (slope, aspect and elevation). Another method could be to classify slope, aspect and elevation and use the combine tool (Spatial Analyst) to create a raster with the unique combination of the three classified rasters. If you analyze which combination is suitable you have access to the areas where this combination occurs on the island.

0 Kudos
DonaldPirie-Hay
New Contributor II

The Habitat Suitabillity is a separate raster, as is elevation, aspect, and slope.

I meant there is no option to "Open Attribute Table" for any of the rasters mentioned above. Same for any Join or Relate options.

I will try the Combine tool to see if that works.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

You will need to Reclassify data with floating values, since the combine tool requires integer data. Please include a screenshot of the data to show what your data looks like. You original post states that you have points, while in your last post you say you only have rasters...

0 Kudos