Select to view content in your preferred language

Estimating orographic updraft velocity

07-10-2014 07:15 AM
FrankHanssen
Regular Contributor

I am not an mathematician, but I would like to calculate orographic updraft (that is horizontal wind pressed upward against exposed terrain). In their article "Estimating udraft velocity components over large spatial scales: contrasting migration stra...presented a very good approach that I want to operationalize in ArcGIS Modelbuilder.

The value of orographic updraft velocity (Wo) can be calculated from horizontal wind speed, wind direction, slope and angle as described below in Bohrer et.al 2011.

Capture.JPG

From this I have calculated terrain aspect in modelbuilder as ATan((Z / X) / (Z / Y)) and terrain Slope as ATan(Power(Power((Z
/ X), 2) + Power((Z / Y), 2), 0.5)).

Finally the orographic updraft velocity was calculated as Wind speed (m/s) * (Sin(Slope) * Cos(Wind direction - Aspect")) as described in the article. However these calculations did not give me the expected Wo output. Neither did the slope or aspects. I have also tried to use  the ESRI Slope and Aspect tools as inputs for Wo without success. Remember that aspect and wind is oriented in opposite directions (e.g. eastward aspect heading to 90 degrees and eastern wind heading from  90 degrees.

I guess for a mathematician this is not so complicated. Could anyone please help me!

Frank

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies