Elevation layers published to AGOL use meters instead of feet.

10-26-2023 01:32 PM
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

I've been publishing elevation data to AGOL without issues up until a couple days ago. Now all my elevation layers are being transformed from feet to meters, but still use the feet values. So what should be 4500 feet is coming in as 14600. I've replicated this from Site Scan, drone2map, and ArcGIS Pro. Seems to be a bug with AGOL. The only solution I've found is to field calculate my elevation layer to use values for meters, but in a layer that uses feet. 

Anyone else having this issue since they updated AGOL?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NicoBonnafoux
Esri Contributor

@JamesBurton1 , I'll let our teams know about this, I'm seeing the same. Could you please also open a support ticket? That way our analysts will be able to keep you updated on a resolution and request more information if needed. 

JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

Hey @NicoBonnafoux, I'll open a support ticket. Thanks for checking. 

0 Kudos
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

Logged as a bug. BUG-000162424

Will follow up here when the bug is fixed. 

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

This is actually as-designed. When a raster gets reprojected the pixels themselves do not get the unit conversion applied. You can see this in the Project Raster tool as well. If a unit conversion needs to occur then  reprojecting plus the times tool will take care of that. It is documented that appearance properties for elevation sources/surfaces do not get carried over to ArcGIS Online. In addition to the documentation it could be clearer that this is not occurring so I can reach out to the team in charge of that area and request that an analyzer be added so it's more clear.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/web-elevation-layer.htm 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/elevation-surfaces.htm#ESRI_S... 

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos